Sunday, July 14, 2013

The Birthday Girl!

11 years ago this big beautiful baby girl joined our family.
She was two and a half weeks late and born screaming mad at the world. I really think she'd liked to have punched the surgeon! Seems she didn't want to part with momma and is still a bit of a momma baby.
She was a beauty though--and at 8lbs 10ozs, and 22 in, she never did look like a newborn.
 
2 weeks old

 
If you've read my blog long at all, you know that I LOVE being a mommy and making things special for my kiddos! Some have asked how we can make things look so nice on a budget, so that is why I always try to share our "secrets and sources" when I post. We spent just over $75 on this party, gifts, party goods and decor, favors, food and pictures all included. We always let them choose a theme for their own party--and try to keep it fun and inexpensive. Kalli chose Barbie. Some of the Barbie stuff out there is so strange, but after putting on my thinking cap and visiting pinterest, we came up with a pretty cute party.  We picked up a refrigerator box (free) and painted it (most of the paint was already in the garage) like a huge Barbie box. Birthday Barbie (Kalli) fit just fine! =) I used pink Zebra duct tape around the doorway to cover up my crooked cut job.
 
We also let them choose the entire menu for one meal. Kalli chose a BLAT bar and fresh grilled pineapple. We had fun putting the fixings in (clean) Barbie things, like lettuce in the corvette.....

 
....and avacados in the bathtub! Pretty cheap serving dishes! =)

 
She chose cheesecake for her cake and we had a variety of topping choices. Very fun for creative little girls!

 
She invited a few extra friends to her party. We always leave this up to the girls too. This is their special day so we want them to be with the ones that make their life the most special. Kalli is our social butterfly--always flitting here and there visiting and hugging her friends. They had such a fun time playing Barbies!

 
A bunch of pretty Barbie dolls, and one handsome Ken (Kaderick).
We don't spend a lot of gifts, and are thankful that the children all appreciate and care for the things they do recieve. They are still playing with Barbie things that I had as a girl! Kalli did ask for a Barbie kitchen and I found one on craigslist complete with stove, cabinet, fridge and a ton of food and dishes for a GREAT deal. You would never know it was used!

 
After the party, Kalli and I kept tradition of momma taking birthday pictures while on a little walk. Not only does this save me some $$, we get time together and they are more relaxed with mom than a strange photographer. Granted, my camera is cheap and someone else might do better, but we get by fine.

 
She LOVES butterflies, so we snatched a couple from off her wall to shoot in the pictures.

 
Kalli is also a writer. She's said from the time she was way little that one of the things she was interested in being (besides a baker) was an "aawwwthor" (she really used to drag that "aww" sound out), so we did pictures of her journaling. Many times I try to incorporate their current "likes" in their birthday pictures thinking it will make for great memories.
 
Kalli is a sweet girl, with a tender loving heart. She's give you her last blanket (and she's quite attached to those) if she thought you needed it.
I am blessed to me her mommy!

1 comments:

Pamela

I love reading about your children and your creative projects. It looks like a fun party--such a fun photo booth and of course I love the journalling picture. I hope she makes a life-time habit of it!

Post a Comment

...and underneath are the everlasting arms...Duet. 33:27