Saturday, July 6, 2013

Our All-American Holiday

What do American's do to celebrate their freedom on Independence Day?
 
 
They dress their children in cute clothes of red, white and blue, proudly wave American flags and take lots of pictures.

 
We arrive early at small town country parades and wait patiently to see mostly old tractors and horses. We like it this way.

 
We take pictures like the one above and give it the caption,
 "Oh, say can you see?"

 
Our hearts are happy and cheerful like the flowers on our porches.

 
We admire our gardens, compare their progress, talk about the weather and the need for rain.

 
We give thanks for our heritage.

 
We also give thanks for friends who are like family, and Kammy rides in the parade again this year with some of these faithful friends.

 
At the parade, our children gather enough candy at to last until next year!

 
We gather on a hillside in our community to watch fireworks and find that God's firework display is the most beautiful of all!

 
We gather with extended family and grill steaks, eat the most yummy of food and enjoy an almost perfect day.

 
We amire the beauty all around us.
(my Aunt's lovely yard where we gathered together)

 
We can't let the day get away with out a bit of DIY.
My daughters painted the canning jar utinsil holders for our picnic.
 
 
At the close of the day, we count our blessings once again, and in the back of my mind I question how long will it last? This peace...these blessings.
I jotted this down as I was musing.
 
 

Dear America,
Today is your 237th birthday. I wasn't there when you made your debut, but every mother loves a good birth story. I'm told that the labor was long and that those who gave you birth were the bravest of souls. You arrived with a lusty cry and were a sight to look upon. You toddled on unstable legs, but were so proud of those first faltering steps. Then you were off and running--nothing could stop you--not even adolescents, which surely did its best to tear you in two. You fought many wars in your teens and you struggled to find your place and to fit in in this world. During your adult years, you were a strong and fearless leader, reaching out time and time again to those less fortunate. I was privileged to know you in what may have been the best of your years, but now you are showing your age. They say that with age comes wisdom, but it doesn't seem to be the case with you. I don't know if you even realize it, but you aren't what you used to be. I sit at what I pray is not your deathbed and listen to you gasp for breath. I hope and pray that those of us who love you are doing all we know to help you. I want my children to know you the way I once did--strong, robust, God-fearing, and free. You're too young to die....please don't go....America?America? Can you hear me? I love you ever so much.
Happy Birthday.

3 comments:

Dreamin'

Loved this post and the pictures!! :)

Melissa

Well said, all so very true. The "letter" almost had me in tears, a very touching "birth" story.

Brittany

Or if you were in Alabama, you sat indoors and watched the rain pour in bucket loads out the window ;) It rained solid from Thursday to Sunday - kinda disappointing but we still had a fun get together - INDOORS! ;) Cute pics!

Post a Comment

...and underneath are the everlasting arms...Duet. 33:27