On Tuesday of this week, at the referral of his pediatrician, I took Kade to a specialist to have a few little skin spots looked at. They are barely noticeable and less than 10 in number, so coupled with the fact that he acts relatively healthy and happy, I wasn't too worried.
They diagnosed him very quickly with Cutaneous Mastocytosis. It is a disease of the mast cells near the surface of the skin. Technically classified as a cancer. It is not treatable in this young of children other than with topical steriod creams (mostly to relieve itching and appearance.) He has no spots on his face, but is continually scratching his face and pulling on his ears. I guess at his age moter skills are not developed enough to scratch other areas, even though they may indeed itch. His face and other places probably itch as well, even where no spots are visible. It may also be known as "Mast Cell Disease" a condition where the body makes to many mast cells (the cells controlling histamine and heparin.) This could also explain or aggravate his food allergies and reluctance to take solids and his allergies to many soaps, lotions, ect.
Anyway.....the GOOD NEWS is that in about 90% of cases, the child will outgrow this in a few years to at least by puberty on his own and without any other symptoms or complications. (WOW! RELIEF!)
The BAD NEWS is that in about 7-10% of cases, it is or can become systemic (of the system, liver, blood or bone marrow). There is no known successful treatment or cure for this. (SINKING FEELING!)
Kade has little to no symptoms pointing to the systemic type of this disease and for that we are SO thankful, yet as a mother, I still worry about the chances.
Kaderick's doctor will be researching/consulting and getting back with us by mid-week with a plan. He talked about sending him to an pediatric oncologist, hematologist, dermatologist, allergist, ect.
He told us that he will be making decisions just as if Kaderick were his own son and while I know any doctor can make mistakes, we do love and trust him. This is the same doctor who helped to diagnose and correctly treat and predict Kayla's Rolandic Epilepsy about 11 years ago. This is a very rare disease thought to be mostly genetic, but he did successfully treat one child for it years ago which is encouraging. That treatment was topical and monitored with frequent blood-work and oncologist consultation.
As you might imagine, I an riding an emotional roller-coaster. Up one minute, down the next. Trusting God completely one moment and questioning the next.
I do know that for now, Kade and all of my family need me to be strong and not to borrow trouble trouble from tomorrow.
"Fear not tomorrow! God is already there!"
I know there are so many situations more serious than ours, but will you please keep us, especially little Kade, in your prayers and ask your praying friends to do the same?
I've been on the healing end of my Heavenly Father's mercy before and I know He is able!
Thank you!!!


3 comments:
Sending prayers your way! We serve a great big God!!
I have a healing post from May 2012 if you ever want to read it...it's called Emergency and a Miracle.God bless you and encourage you during this time.
We will keep you all in our prayers...I feel so badly for you all during this stressful time...and also for poor lil' Kade. I am so glad that God loves the little children and He has the power to touch him.
Yes, I will keep Kade and you in my prayers, so often we see that when someone is prayed for they are on the 90% positive end of things, almost never on the small negative end. That is what prayer can do! and your faith in God tells you that, doesn't it. God is GOOD and yes, He is already in tomorrow! love and prayers, Cindy
Post a Comment