Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Memorial Day and a Birthday (or two) coming.

Yesterday, we celebrated Memorial Day as a family. I'm sharing briefly a passage from my pastor/husband's Sunday sermon notes. He also had an awesome power point presentation that went with his message.
(2 Samuel 23:15) And David longed, and said, Oh that one would give me drink of the water of the well of Bethlehem, which is by the gate!
(2 Samuel 23:16) And the three mighty men brake through the host of the Philistines, and drew water out of the well of Bethlehem, that was by the gate, and took it, and brought it to David: nevertheless he would not drink thereof, but poured it out unto the LO...RD…
(2 Samuel 23:17) Be it far from me, O LORD, that I should do this: is not this the blood of the men that went in jeopardy of their lives?

It takes one to know one. I thought of this well worn adage as I read this story in 2 Samuel 23. Here we find the words of David, the most famous, and decorated war hero of the Bible as he expresses his appreciation and reverence for the sacrifice of his fighting men. David knew all too well the makings of a good soldier. He witnessed it all in living color from a very young age. His veins flowed thick with the vibrant blood of a warrior and patriot. He was not about to take for granted the blood, sweat, and tears that were spent in his own interest, comfort, and satisfaction.
As I reflect this Memorial Day on the cost which bought and preserves to this day my freedom as an American my prayer is that we never forget. Every blessing I enjoy and each treasured moment with my family I owe in measure to the unsung heroes who gave it all.

The next time you are tempted to forget let your prayer arise in the words of David, “(2 Samuel 23:17) Be it far from me, O LORD, that I should do this: is not this the blood of the men that went in jeopardy of their lives?”
Pastor Rick

 Did you know....In popular usage "basket case" refers to someone in a hopeless mental condition, but in origin it had a physical meaning. In the grim slang of World War I, it referred to a quadruple amputee. One whos limbs quite literally were picked up and carried away in a basket. Yep, "thank you" seems pretty trite and inadequate.

 Yesterday was my first decent day in over a month. Rick grilled steaks and the girls helped me put together all the trimmings to go with it. The only thing we didn't do was a dessert. I ventured out of the house and away from the sick room all the way to TCBY (a few blocks)! I'm not doing as well today, but it was nice to enjoy the holiday with family not being quite so sick! We spent a lot of time outdoors--the weather here was a perfect 75 most of the day. Kammy was taught Rancher to jump through her hoola hoop, so we watched them play and worked in the yard and garden a bit.

Tomorrow I will be thirty-something and Friday, my oldest daughter turns 14!
She has been such a joy and while always a big help, she has really had to step it up here recently and kept things running smoothy for the most part.
Her party is on Friday, and I've had to enlist her dad's help in the shopping and planning--he's doing a great job! I haven't felt much like doing anything, let alone taking birthday pictures, but I did manage to get these few on Sunday.

Photobucket


1 comments:

Brittany

Happy Birthday to you and Kayla! So glad you felt good enough to enjoy the holiday =) Pretty pics, too!

Post a Comment

...and underneath are the everlasting arms...Duet. 33:27