Tuesday, April 24, 2012

The Party!

 I'm not sure that I remember any of the girls (at 3) being so excited for a birthday~Kaite was just almost to the point of happy tears several times throughout her party.

Kaite chose a Rupunzel theme for her party. Now, before you get on my back about the whole princess thing being bad for little girls, let me tell you this.....I think a little princess is good for a girl. Really, what is wrong with teaching a girl manners, respect, lady-like behaviour, compassion, and how to choose a man based on character traits, not just appearance, social status, or family name?
 I braided yarn into all the girls' hair to give them Rupunzel hair. They thought it was grand! Kaite was at the table long before the others, ready to get a start on the party! =)

 We try to let them choose the menu for their birthday supper, she struggled with the choices, but we pretty much know her favorites. We did corn on the cob, because it's definitely her favorite vegetable, fried chicken (which she requested with certainty) and french fries.
We served the food in cast-iron skillets, fitting with the Rupunzel theme.
We let her open one of her gifts, a Rupunzel dress after we ate, and before cake.
She didn't have any trouble getting the 3 fingers up to represent her age. Daddy just showed her how to hold that little finger down with her thumb, and she had it!
 Several weeks ago, she picked out a little Minnie Mouse play set at K-Mart. Daddy sneaked the purchase, or so we thought. When we got home, she asked me, "Where is my birthday present?" I decided to be honest and just told her it was on the high shelf in my closet. She was content with that, but she literally trembled with excitement when she opened it!
 She got an etch-a-sketch and some clothes from Grampapa. She really loved the etch-a-sketch, but when she opened the clothes, she said, "What in the world!?!?" Her sisters gave her a little barbie doll, Chelsey--the 4th of four barbie sisters. Kammy wanted to give her a gift all on her own, so she sacrificed some little toy puppies that she's had for several years. The real sweet thing was the way she wrapped them in a shoe box and lined it with some or her prized horse fabric!
 We made a little Rupunzel tower out of an oatmeal box and filled it with candy and small $ Store prizes.
 After the party, the girls colored Rupunzel pictures I printed off the internet. We served crayons in their little play skillets. The hanging paper lanterns are from the $ Store and represent the lanterns Rupunzels parents sent off each year on Rupunzel's birthday.
They also played "magnet" (instead of pin) the frying pan on Flynn Rider's head. Their hair doubled for blindfolds. =)
It was a very sweet party. Kaite was so appreciative of everything (okay, maybe not the clothes...) and was just slightly shy. She almost cried when we sang to her, but only in a joyful happy way. She didn't want me to invite anyone--so we kept it a family party. I think sometimes we overwhelm little ones with guests and gifts and then wonder why they are naughty.....anyway, that's just my 2 cents. I always enjoy planning these little parties for my girls about as much as they enjoy having them.

The End.

Photobucket

3 comments:

Cindy

What a sweet theme for a birthday party, especially for a three year old.
Kaite is so cute! I don't see anything wrong with a princess theme, at all. There is a whole lot more expected from a princess than from an ordinary girl and they usually dress very modestly. For pictures at least, don't you agree?
Hugs, Cindy

Brittany

Such a cute party, Karen! And you can just see the excitement in her face =) I totally agree - we've been to kids' birthday parties where the child had so many people and gifts that they got tired of opening them! I think when we keep it smaller, the things mean more to them.

Pamela

Your daughters are just precious, Karen. You are teaching them to shelter each other by modelling it yourself. I'm with you on princess all the way! I love how you gave her such a sweet themed party--doing it for her, not the guests who were invited. The hair braid is awesome.

Post a Comment

...and underneath are the everlasting arms...Duet. 33:27