What matters most to you... the gift or the wrappings?
It seems that we live in a world that puts more emphasis on the 'wrappings.' For example, if you look good on the outside, you must be a good person inside, right? We are often quick to judge a person to have very little value if their outward appearance doesn't measure up to our standards. God' Word tells us that this mindset is somewhat normal for humans--However; I believe we should try to see people with God's eyes. We are not divine, and we can't see through the earthly wrappings and trappings like He can, but se can strive to love like He does regardless of what our human eyes might see. Come Christmas Day, my children will tear into those packages and the wrappings, no matter how elaborate, will soon be forgotten. The gift however, (at least in this home) will be remembered long. The same is true for Christians, when our Christmas (the rapture) occurs, the trivial wrappings of this life will not matter nearly so much. I want to live my entire life as a gift to the Father--He who gave the ultimate GIFT to all minkind.
THAT is Christmas!
That being said, I do enjoy pretty packages. This year, as you know, I have not been well, and our packages are quite basic. I had wanted to go with all brown wrapping and then decorate with homemade snowflakes and sparkley green ribbons. Sounds beautiful, huh? I also thought of using burlap and then upcycling it through the year into pillows and other gifts for next year. Didn't happen. Instead I used leftovers from other years. They all coordinate in tones of brown, copper and goldthough. The tags on most of the packages have been used several years--which really is not a bad idea and one that saves money. Our family has the same people and we all have the same names each year, so I keep the tags. (You can't do this if you use the stick on ones, which I don't care for) but the kind that has the ribbon or cord attached, you can easly use over and over again. Same goes for the ribbons. I have had the same bows so many years, that I am almost weary of them, pretty as they are. You can also use simple $ Store ornaments for some very attractive tags. The gifts that had to be sent far away were wrapped in simple paper, even some burlap and tied with bows of twine, for an old-fashioned Christmas look, and one that won't rumple on the journey. As you can see in the photo above, .39 cent carpenter pencils add a touch of charm to daddy's present from his girls.Now, what about the gift? So many people spend way too much and go so in debt each year. Is that what makes Christmas special? Children have so many toys that by next year they don't have a clue what last years packages held. The toys are broken, lost, or donated before many months are past. An excellent rule of thumb for gifting your children is this:
1 they want
1 they need
1 they wear
1 they read
This is usually what we do, this year they are getting 5 gifts, with #5 being a cheap hand-made fleece scarf in the fabric of their choice. We also do stocking stuffers:
1 small fun item (often from the $ Store)
1 candy item
and.... a toothbrush (you would be suprised how exited they are to compare colors!)
I am very proud of my children and they way they have learned to appreciate and care for the gifts they recieve. We have toys and clothes, now passed down to child #4 that began 13 years ago with child #1. I am happy to say that they still look brand new! Passing things down great cuts back on what is "needed" and my girls enjoy knowing that their big sisters "played with this when they were your size."
My girls save their money all year just to buy each of their family members something. They all go together and get something for mommy and daddy, then 3 of them will go together and buy for the other one, so that all 4 of them get a gift from the other three. I love that they are learning early the joy of giving.
Each year, we try to reach out to a family in need, remembering that the need does not have to be financial, it can be emotional as well. Even if this person/people are not usually on our gift list, we add them. The gift does not have to be expensive or elaborate, it is the thought and prayers going into it that matter most.
When I wrap, I think of the person who's gift I am wrapping and pray that God will bless them through the new year and ask that they may always strive to keep Christmas in their hearts.
Another random thought I have about giving is regarding people who seem to use the "I just can't afford it" excuse not to give to certain people that they don't like real well. I say "excuse" because we ALL can afford the things we really want to afford. Maybe I'm just too simple of a person, but what woman doesn't enjoy a new tea towel or what man couldn't use another screw driver? Seriously....it's the thought that counts!
Whatever your thoughts on gifting, and however you celebrate, may we all remember that the tradition of "giving" began long ago, when God gave His very best.


5 comments:
Karen, This is beautiful and full of so much good old-fashioned common sense. I love all of the ideas that you have put forth. You and I would be good friends, despite the separation of years, if we lived close.
Love and hugs, Cindy
Good post, good thoughts! Enjoyed this!
Well put!! So true! Thanks for sharing.
Lovely! I so wish we lived closer so I could sit and learn at your feet! I learn very much from you on Facebook and your blog, but I would just love to have you be my mentor in life and my craft teacher to!
Very beautifully put, Karen! I love the reminder that it is the thought that counts and not the amount of money spent. God bless you and your family!
Post a Comment