Welcome to the heart of our home. The kitchen. I probably spend at least 50% of my time here. Not that I mind. It's truly a pleasant place to be!
Above you see the archway entry from the living room.
The house was remodeled some years ago and where the desk is, is where the dining table used to have to go. Why...Oh why...would anyone make such a small dining room? Ugh. Anyway, I wasn't sure what should happen in this empty space and then I thought of Rick's old desk from when he was a lad. While attractive in it's day, it was old and a bit ugly if I dare say so. Painting the top black and distressing it, gave it a whole new life! Then, I got an old $4 chair and painted it black to match.
The top of the besk has a glass over it and underneath I put a cute chicken placemat.
I also found an old greeting card with a rooster, given to my grandma from grandpa. I usually keep my laptop here and this is where I make menus, shopping lists, and visit all your awesome inspiring blogs.
Above the desk, I hung 3 chicken wire framed embroidered dish towels. They were a bridal shower gift from my Grandma 15 years ago! Rick made the barnwood frames especially for them.
Over by the stove, is a caddy for storing kitchen tools. The enesco hen figurine was a shower gift from my then pastor's wife.
When I was little we had "Big Boy" restaurants and this summer we found one in California. I couldn't resist this sweet recipe holder.
The knife block got too close to my red pray paint a few years ago and I love it's brightness. The basket hides our daily meds and vitamins. The barn is a paper towel holder.
I recently made the primitive sign and added the country plaid ruffles to the door window shades.
As I mentioned in a previous post, hubby made the shoe rack from an old pallet and I love how it looks in my country kitchen.
The boots were a birthday gift this past year from my mother.
Hubby also made the chicken wire memo board from the same pallet. I am loving having a spot to pin birthday cards and the current weeks recipe cards.
Here is a close up.
Across the way is the dining room table and on the wall hangs a FAVORITE of mine. A good friend gave me the window a few years back and I sewed the little valance in place of the broken pane. It has vinal wall words that say, "Karen's Rise & Shine Cafe." The frame to the right of the window holds a place setting of silverware that belonged to my great Grandma.
The bar stools are from a real bar here that was renovating and throwing stuff out. I'd guess they are 50+ years old. We re-did them in distressed black.
The kitchen counter has a huge bar. Pretty much everything here except the serving tray was given to me by my brother and his family through the years. I love remembering where everything came from--then when I use it I think of and pray for the special people in my life.
I love pie keepers. The apple one here was a gift from my mom. I also have a pumpkin one from her. Hubby bought me the wire barn at a furniture store when we first moved to Idaho 10+ years ago.
Here is a wider view of the kitchen and bar area. I colect unique and old canning jars above the cabinets. Hint. Hint. =)
Across the dining room is the sitting room. A BIG empty space that I didn't think I'd ever fill--especially not on a budget. We did it though. I had the chair, the end table came from Goodwill and the bookshelves are from craigslist.
They match the hutch perfectly. Then I found the glider rocker for $12! The plates that hang on the walls hold old family photographs. My goal is to have decor that isn't just attractive, but that actually is special in nature. I love that the kids are growing up "knowing" all the wonderful people that are a part of their family and past.
I recently made the pillow for it. The bow on it matches the ruffles on the window shades.
The view back from the sitting room to the kitchen. I love that I can seat 12 people here and we don't even brush shoulders!

2 comments:
Mmmm coffee and pumkin whoopie pies, sounds delicious! You have such a beautiful home, you are so creative!
You are a true Proverbs 31 woman. I get such joy out of your creativity. Praying for those who gifted you with your treasures is such a beautiful way to shelter those you love.
Post a Comment