Saturday, August 6, 2011

Coffee & Crean Brownies


Ingredients:
(Recipe can easily be doubled--and usually NEEDS to be--they are THAT good!)
1/2 cup butter, cubed
3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
2 eggs
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda

FILLING:
1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
2 tablespoons butter, softened
1 cup confectioners' sugar
(I always double this because we like a stronger coffee flavor).

GLAZE:
1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
1/3 cup heavy whipping cream

Directions
In a microwave, melt butter and chocolate; stir until smooth. Cool slightly. In a small bowl, beat the eggs, sugar and vanilla; stir in chocolate mixture. Combine flour and baking soda; gradually add to chocolate mixture.
Spread into a greased 8-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean (do not overbake). Cool on a wire rack.
For filling, combine cream and coffee granules in a small bowl; stir until coffee is dissolved. In a small bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in coffee mixture; Spread over brownies.
In a small saucepan, combine chips and cream. Cook and stir over low heat until chocolate is melted and mixture is thickened. Cool slightly. Carefully spread over filling. Let stand for 30 minutes or until glaze is set. Cut into squares. Store in the refrigerator.
We prefer them slightly chilled.

Note: Sometimes when I make these, they "raise" around the edges of the pan and "fall" in the middle. When this happens, (which it did when I made them last night) I just take a fork and push the edges down so that it is all flat and even. I'm not sure what makes this happen sometimes and other times not. Maybe you have an idea?

PS. I even eat these sometimes, and I don't usually like chocolate. :)

Photobucket

5 comments:

Anonymous

I can't wait to try these. They look delicious!

Lanaye

Cindy

Oh my, those sound very good, I will need to get some whipping cream and powered sugar so I can make them. Thank you for the recipe.
Hugs, Cindy

The Dickinsons

They look yummy! =) I love coffee and Chocolate together! Thank you for your sweet comment on my blog. Have a super week! =)
~Heather~

wendy

I think if you only grease the bottom of your pan they won't raise up around the edges. I think.. Because whenever I make brownies from a 'mix' that's what the instructions say to do, so I think that's the reason.

Anonymous

Oh, thank you Wendy! Your tip on the brownies makes so much sense! ~Karen

Post a Comment

...and underneath are the everlasting arms...Duet. 33:27