Saturday, March 26, 2011

Mercat de Sant Josep / La Boqueria

Probably Barcelona’s best-known market, ideally situated just off La Rambla this market is a must whether sourcing ingredients for a fine meal or just wandering through. It's an assault on the senses with with both pleasant and quite unpleasant smells coming from the fish to fruit. The food sold ranges from ready-made fresh fruit salads for the tired tourist, to literally fresh out of the sea still moving crabs and lobsters (maybe you would also like to look out for the whole sheep's head!?) Not to mention the bright sweet counters that will act like a magnet for any child (or adult!).
Meat Market
Fruit Market. Truly a beautiful sight and the most delicious too!
Fruit Smoothies.
Um...yeah. Sheep's head complete with eyes. Yummy!?!?
Fresh Eggs
Not entirely sure about this one.
Gummy fruits.
Pigeons fly about in the market and in fact, we even noticed one booth owner picking pigeon droppings off his fruit and nut display. You also might want to watch for doggie doo-doo. They pretty much run free here as well. All that being said, there was something about this place that I loved.

Photobucket


1 comments:

Cindy

That market is SO colorful! It looked wonderful and would be so much fun to walk through. I don't think I could buy any food products from an open air market, though. Pigeon poo?! Lambs head complete with eye-balls? They're meant for stronger stomachs than mine! Extremely interesting to see, though!
I have been meaning to tell you that I love your new photo in the header. Very nice!
Hugs, Cindy

Post a Comment

...and underneath are the everlasting arms...Duet. 33:27