Thursday, March 24, 2011

Christopher Columbus and the Port City

Columbus just might be the smartest man I never met. He certainly had the right idea. I no sooner arrived in Spain than I was ready to return to the New World as well! I mentioned this to my hubby and he wanted to be the smartest man I ever met, so he pointed in the same direction--notice him in the bottom right hand corner of the above picture.
The monument of Christopher Columbus is a 60 meters high column, It was put up for the universal exposition of
1888 in homage to the famous explorer. The sight of the city is remarkable.
The Columbus Monument (Monument a Colom in Catalan, also known as the Monumento a Colón and Mirador de Colón in Spanish). It was constructed for the Exposición Universal de Barcelona (1888) and is located at the site where Columbus returned to Spain after his first voyage to the Americas. The monument serves as a reminder that Barcelona is where Christopher Columbus reported to Queen Isabella and Ferdinand after Columbus' most famous trip.
The statue was sculpted by Rafael Atché and is said to depict Columbus pointing towards the New World with his right hand, while holding a scroll in the left. As it was sited, instead of pointing to the west towards the New World, the statue points east towards Columbus's supposed home city of Genoa. The statue is atop a socle, on which the word "Tierra" (land) is inscribed.


My husband loved seeing all the ships and boats. We considered a sail boat ride, but time and money not to mention weather conditions were not friendly to that idea.

My husband loved all the ships. I am very afraid of water, so to me they were beautiful in a terrifying sort of way.
This one did catch my eye as being a homey spot with the sweet little table on deck and all.


Photobucket


1 comments:

Cindy

Hi Karen,
Great photos, it looks like such a lovely place to visit.
Hugs, Cindy

Post a Comment

...and underneath are the everlasting arms...Duet. 33:27