Saturday, March 26, 2011

LasRamblas and other shopping.

You all will be so happy to know that after this I only have two more Barcelona posts! Can't blame you if you're bored, I'm getting a bit wearly of it myself. I do thank you for all your sweet comments though---Um, that would be...Cindy and Pamala, and Crystal my faithful readers bless you! :)
Shopping in Barcelona is a challenge. Well, I thought it was anyway, but I'm not much of a shopper even under good circumstances. Factor in a loud, dirty metro ride and pouring rain and it's a wonder that I'm still smiling! We didn't see a grocery store anywhere near the hotel but when we inquired, we learned that there was one a few floors under a department store. This particular department store, El Corte Engles is one of about 6 in the city. It has 8 floors and like I said...groceries on the bottom! If you want the luxury of a shopping cart, that will cost you an extra 2 euros. We only purchased a few items, mostly some of that rare "still" water, but I can't imagine shopping for a family--how do they transport all the items?!?! You can't exactly take your cart out the front door to your waiting vehicle in the parking lot, because there is no front door--just several pair of escalators and your car is not waiting for you in the parking lot because the parking lot does not exist--and neither does your car!
Hello Kitty is huge here. I took this picture for Kammy to see. This store is in Le Pedrables Mall which also has several floors.
I loved this little shop with shirts! I would find men's clothing very boring if it were not for shirts and ties and I confess to loving the European's style when it comes to men's fashion. My hubby was not as impressed as I and sadly we purchased nothing from this store.
This is a candle store much like we have in the states.
Shoes are a big item here. In fact, I heard that if you can only do one thing "right" make it your shoes.
I adore the little handmade clothing items we found in one booth near Las Ramblas. This whole little boys outfit is just darling! Good thing I have girls, or I'd have been mighty tempted!
La Rambla is a street in central Barcelona, popular with both tourists and locals alike. A 1.2 kilometer-long tree-lined pedestrian mall between Barri Gòtic and El Raval, it connects Plaça Catalunya in the centre with the Christopher Columbus monument at Port Vell.
La Rambla can be considered a series of shorter streets, each differently named, hence the plural form Les Rambles (Spanish: Las Ramblas). Construction of the Maremàgnum in the early 1990s resulted in a continuation of La Rambla on a wooden walkway into the harbour.
La Rambla can be crowded, especially during prime time tourist season. Most of the time, there are many more tourists than locals occupying the Rambla, which has changed the shopping selection, as well as the character of the street in general. For this reason also, it has become a prime target for pick pocketing and one Loomis visitor did get his wallet taken here.
The name rambla refers to an intermittent water flow in both Catalan and Spanish, and is derived from the Arabic 'ramla' which means 'sandy riverbed'. The name of the city of Ramla, now in Israel, shares the same origin.
On La Rambla, I snapped Rick's picture by a Loomis truck. Um, yeah...that was why we were there, remember? Loomis.
As you walk along LasRamblas, you will pass many booths selling beautiful fresh flowers.
You can be whoever you want to be here, simply by standing behind a picture.
This is a real live HUMAN statue. They really come alive if you try to take a picture without making a tax free donation. We saw several of these, but this one was my favorite.
My Knight in Shining Armor! I think he looks rather angry at the prospect of being so short!
They do have McDonalds! You get your food on the bottom level and can sit pretty much as high up there as you want! Once again, those stairs are a good way to keep the quarter-pounders off your thighs.
Another of those human statues. This one sort of gave me the heebee jeebies.
Me standing in an entrance to a shop.
And two more human statues.There is really no way for pictures to show the enormity of the shopping on La Rambla. It seems to go on and on with hundreds of narrow side streets filled with more little shops of every immaginable type.
Now...can we PLEASE go home!?!?! My feet are killing me! I am not a shopper!

Photobucket


1 comments:

Brent and Nicki

I've been a reader, just not a poster :) I think they need to resize the head cut-outs for the stand behind pictures. Or is it that you and Rick have small heads? The army guy is very weird. I had a hard time believing it when you said it was a person. >Nic

Post a Comment

...and underneath are the everlasting arms...Duet. 33:27