In a word..."Yes!" If anyone has ever told you that neat, clean people do not camp out, they are wrong. totally. wrong. I get accused of being too particular, too fussy, too fixey, too neat, too clean...and I LOVE to camp! All it takes is a little planning. I always make a list (usually more than one) and a menu. Always!
We didn't always have a trailer either. We used to camp in a tent all the time. I'll have to say though, that I do not miss the middle of the night trips to a cold, dark, smelly outhouse or the chill that tickled my spine when I heard a 'bearlike' noise. We were able to get a great deal on Craigs list several years ago and I do love having a camper. Most of our supplies can just stay in there and we are pretty much ready all the time...just to add the food. I even have the closets packed with camping clothes. Some we have picked up at Goodwill and some are just older clothes who were selected for 'camp duty' rather than the 'yard sale' bag. Oh yeah...the 'always ready to go' thing only works if you clean the camper IMMEDIATELY when you get home.
Like I said, the trailer is not new by a LONG shot and I did a lot of fluffing inside (while hubby fluffed the brakes and plumbing) when we first got it. It has a miniature shower so I bought a full-size shower curtain and cut it down to size. The scraps were then turned into curtains for the bathroom window. I hung a picture here and there and some old deer antlers to use as a coat/hat rack. The front window, above the table has an awning over it, so I didn't think I needed curtains there. Recently, I decided to make some after all...they add a homey touch to our cabin on wheels.
Here is a closer up of them, tied back so we can enjoy the views.
Here is a quilt I made (or rather re-made) that we carry with us on every camp-out. It is wool and sooo warm and cozy.
Someone asked about camping with kids. It's great! This is Kammy a few years ago and is a favorite picture of mine. I do let my kids play in the dirt! Personally, I don't think that God's dirt is as bad for my kids as man's germs at Walmart. :) At the end of the day, we heat some water and they usually come pretty clean. It's strange, but my kids get bored at home with all the toys and things to do and yet when I take them camping where "there's nothing to do" they always find plenty to do.

I love camp cooking too! For this pineapple upside-down cake, I just mixed a yellow cake according to box directions. Line your dutch oven with foil, sprinkle generously with brown sugar nad some nice big chunks of real butter. Then lay your pineapple slices on top of the butter and sugar. Pour cake mix over the top and cover with foil before putting on the lid. I made this one in the wood coals but you can also use charcoal briquettes.

I make as much food as possible ahead of time. Be sure to plan your menu accordingly. For instance, if you are making potato salad, have it on day one or two at the latest. Otherwise it's age will start to show. :) Baked beans almost get better as they age so you could have some now, skip a few days and have them again on day three or four when you have your weinie roast. I make baggie omelets ahead of time too. They are really great and easy. Simply beat up your eggs like you would for omelets at home and then pour about 3/4 cup into a zip-loc baggy. Add a small amount of whatever else you like in your omelets to the bag and zip tightly closed. When you are ready for omelets, drop the bag in a pot of boiling water for about 10 minutes. Remove it with tongs, cool slightly, open and dump it out on your plate. Walah! A perfect omelet!
We didn't always have a trailer either. We used to camp in a tent all the time. I'll have to say though, that I do not miss the middle of the night trips to a cold, dark, smelly outhouse or the chill that tickled my spine when I heard a 'bearlike' noise. We were able to get a great deal on Craigs list several years ago and I do love having a camper. Most of our supplies can just stay in there and we are pretty much ready all the time...just to add the food. I even have the closets packed with camping clothes. Some we have picked up at Goodwill and some are just older clothes who were selected for 'camp duty' rather than the 'yard sale' bag. Oh yeah...the 'always ready to go' thing only works if you clean the camper IMMEDIATELY when you get home.
Like I said, the trailer is not new by a LONG shot and I did a lot of fluffing inside (while hubby fluffed the brakes and plumbing) when we first got it. It has a miniature shower so I bought a full-size shower curtain and cut it down to size. The scraps were then turned into curtains for the bathroom window. I hung a picture here and there and some old deer antlers to use as a coat/hat rack. The front window, above the table has an awning over it, so I didn't think I needed curtains there. Recently, I decided to make some after all...they add a homey touch to our cabin on wheels.
Here is a closer up of them, tied back so we can enjoy the views.
Here is a quilt I made (or rather re-made) that we carry with us on every camp-out. It is wool and sooo warm and cozy.
Someone asked about camping with kids. It's great! This is Kammy a few years ago and is a favorite picture of mine. I do let my kids play in the dirt! Personally, I don't think that God's dirt is as bad for my kids as man's germs at Walmart. :) At the end of the day, we heat some water and they usually come pretty clean. It's strange, but my kids get bored at home with all the toys and things to do and yet when I take them camping where "there's nothing to do" they always find plenty to do.
I love camp cooking too! For this pineapple upside-down cake, I just mixed a yellow cake according to box directions. Line your dutch oven with foil, sprinkle generously with brown sugar nad some nice big chunks of real butter. Then lay your pineapple slices on top of the butter and sugar. Pour cake mix over the top and cover with foil before putting on the lid. I made this one in the wood coals but you can also use charcoal briquettes.

I make as much food as possible ahead of time. Be sure to plan your menu accordingly. For instance, if you are making potato salad, have it on day one or two at the latest. Otherwise it's age will start to show. :) Baked beans almost get better as they age so you could have some now, skip a few days and have them again on day three or four when you have your weinie roast. I make baggie omelets ahead of time too. They are really great and easy. Simply beat up your eggs like you would for omelets at home and then pour about 3/4 cup into a zip-loc baggy. Add a small amount of whatever else you like in your omelets to the bag and zip tightly closed. When you are ready for omelets, drop the bag in a pot of boiling water for about 10 minutes. Remove it with tongs, cool slightly, open and dump it out on your plate. Walah! A perfect omelet!
Oh! And whatever you do, don't forget the marshmellows. Your kids will never forgive you!


1 comments:
Cool this is really great, maybe it's time for the Roberts family to go camping!!
Love the part about God's germs ; )
Post a Comment