This saying sums up Motherhood better than any other I think.
For me, being a mom wasn't just something that "happened" it is my calling and career. It was something my husband and I decided together that I was going to do "full-time." I can't even being to say how important that decision has been for us or how thankful I am that with God's help and lots of hard work and sacrifice on both our parts, we have been able to follow through on that decision. Parenting with Rick Bork is such a JOY and seeing our children's love for Jesus even as they grow is more than enough reward for all the long hours. Being a mother is the best! I get to re-live the wonderful feelings and experiences of my childhood all over again but now I can see it through my mothers eyes. That’s a double dose of happiness! I get to remember some of my greatest and most carefree days and see the people I love more than anything else experience it too. Moreover, I often get to provide those experiences and feelings. It’s awesome....just awesome!
My husband, children, family and friends made my day so special! Saturday, I got the sweetest card from an old friend of my moms and former pastor's wife to both of us. She knew this day would be bittersweet for me. My dear aunt has stepped up to listen to me tell the happy and sad things in my life. She has told me that she wants to hear the sweet and funny things the kids say and do and texts me faithfully to inquire of our health etc. I also know that she prays for me and that makes me so very happy! Going down the Mother's Day card aisle was a little rough this year, but I managed. I selected one for Rick's mom and it helped to soothe my heart a little to also buy one card for my aunt. A sweet lady in our church brought me a large bunch of potted flowers in moms colors--yellow and blue! Totally made my day with her thoughtfulness. My kids all wrote me the sweetest notes and my husband couldn't decide on a funny/serious/thankful/romantic card, so he literally got me FIVE of them and then he wrote personal notes on each one! If you know him at all, you know that handwriting was an enormous act of love!
Besides all of that, my kids went together and got me a butterfly bush. It's just a baby now, but I'm enjoying watching it grow and trusting that someday it will attract those lovely winged creatures that have become so special to us in the last few months. They also got me the coffee thermo in the photo above and knowing my love of lists, a new "Words Best Mom" notebook.
It has become tradition for my husband to take me shopping to select flowers and garden plants a week or so before Mother's Day. He teases me that this is the only time of year and only type of shopping that he actually fears for our finances.
We did a very old tradition this year...one we haven’t done in a long time. A fresh carnation corsage/boutonnière for each person present. Red in honor of your mother, white in memory of her. The mothers also wore red buds for living children, white for those passed. Baby’s breath to remind us how precious and delicate each life is.
Last Mother’s Day something told me to make it extra special. Mom hadn’t been feeling good and I knew down deep that her home-going could be any day. I can’t tell you the immense comfort I have looking back at last years pictures knowing that I made it special for her. She had a lovely day as you can see from her smile, and I have no regrets.
"Dear Momma, I miss you more than I can say. Humanly speaking, I wish you were here for Mother’s Day, but I was blessed with you for 40 years and I won’t complain. I remember too well almost four months ago, our last Sunday with you, standing by your bed and holding your hand for the last time. We thought you were getting a bit better...you were feeling so happy and blessed. Now we know that you were just nearing Heaven’s gate and a few hours later, like your favorite song say...s, “Heaven came down” and your soul went to glory. How can I be sad when I know you are where we all long to be in the end??!! I’ve asked Jesus to handle your Mother’s Day for me this year. I just know he has the biggest and prettiest red geraniums and his lemon pie is out of this world!! I know you’re not on the same time clock as we are, so you’ll probably be surprised that it’s already Mother’s Day, huh? Enjoy your momma and your baby Dale today. Give them and all the other family, especially baby Karrick hugs for me.
See you all soon!"
I thank God in all my remembrance of you. Philippians 1:3
See you all soon!"
I thank God in all my remembrance of you. Philippians 1:3











0 comments:
Post a Comment