Dear Grama,
I love and miss you more than any mere words can explain. I miss going to your house for the weekends. I miss shopping with you. I miss going to Target and eating slushies and pretzels. I don't miss the shopping, food or new toys. I just miss the fact that it was all done with my dear, sweet grandmother. I remember going out in your yard and picking the yellow dandelions, then bringing them inside to you with a beaming proud smile on my face. You would take them, put them in water, and proudly set the yellow weeds in the center of your table. I remember how you would let Papa take me out to the pasture to visit with your neighbor's horses, feeding them generous amounts of apples you had given me. I know you are well and happy now but I miss you! I want to learn to have a relation with Christ just as strong as yours. You had so much faith, know that you are an amazing inspiration to me. Save me a spot at your table in Heaven right next to yours.
With never ending love,
Kammy, A.K.A Scoocumchuck
I love and miss you more than any mere words can explain. I miss going to your house for the weekends. I miss shopping with you. I miss going to Target and eating slushies and pretzels. I don't miss the shopping, food or new toys. I just miss the fact that it was all done with my dear, sweet grandmother. I remember going out in your yard and picking the yellow dandelions, then bringing them inside to you with a beaming proud smile on my face. You would take them, put them in water, and proudly set the yellow weeds in the center of your table. I remember how you would let Papa take me out to the pasture to visit with your neighbor's horses, feeding them generous amounts of apples you had given me. I know you are well and happy now but I miss you! I want to learn to have a relation with Christ just as strong as yours. You had so much faith, know that you are an amazing inspiration to me. Save me a spot at your table in Heaven right next to yours.
With never ending love,
Kammy, A.K.A Scoocumchuck
There are so many things I could say about my grandma, and so many things I would say to her if I could. I hardly know where or how to start. But here goes.
I had the privilege of being with her in her final seconds here on Earth. I stayed that last night with her in the hospital, and I will always treasure those last sweet moments. She was so close to Jesus that last night, she was praising Him and thanking Him for all that He has done for her. She was literally glowing, and the happiest and most relaxed I have seen her in a long, long time. We laid awake and talked or just enjoyed each other's company until she fell asleep. We both slept peacefully until 4am. There was another code shortly before and one of the last things she asked me was whether the family of the person who passed got angel wings. When the end did come, I'm thankful it was fast, even though it was hard for me to watch. I am so glad I was with her, and I am so thankful that I can rest in knowing that she's waiting for us in Heaven. She's not sick anymore! No more dialysis and no more pain.
Grandma was the best. She loved her family so much and it showed! Before she got so sick, she loved to go shopping and would spoil us grands to pieces. Even after she went on dialysis whenever she felt like it, she would go out and get the little ones a little something. She also loved telling us stories, old sayings, and her Larimore high school chants. “Oh we're from Larimore high school! We couldn't be any prouder! And if you don't believe us, we'll scream a little louder!” And then she'd do just that...scream a little louder! I practically have them memorized! Grandma knew literally everyone's birthdays and was sure to go to the dollar store and stock up on cards at least once a month. She had many friends and pen-pals and loved them all dearly. Grandma had a big heart and she loved her grands “a bushel and a peck and a hug around the neck.”
Now I'm going to have to go to Grandma's house, and she won't be there. I can't call her every time I get a good grade or a scholarship. She would always be so excited! I am going to miss Grandma's smile and her hugs and kisses. I'll miss going to hold her arm at dialysis. I'll miss her timer going off in her purse and having to dig into the bottomless depths to find it. I'm going to miss going over to wash and roll her hair and tidy up the house. I'm going to miss Sunday dinner with her at her spot at our table. I'll miss our talks about anything and everything, and sometimes nothing. I have so many precious memories of her and will treasure them always.
I know that Grandma wanted to be there when I graduate from nursing school, and it makes me sad that she won't be, but I know that she will be there in spirit. And just because I miss you so much, I'll pour a little extra of my heart into caring for people.
Grandma, I love and miss you so very much! Heaven is a sweeter place with you there! Give Karrick a big hug and kiss from his big sister, Kayla. I'll see you soon!
Kayla a.k.a. “Shelley” I really did love it when you called me that!
I had the privilege of being with her in her final seconds here on Earth. I stayed that last night with her in the hospital, and I will always treasure those last sweet moments. She was so close to Jesus that last night, she was praising Him and thanking Him for all that He has done for her. She was literally glowing, and the happiest and most relaxed I have seen her in a long, long time. We laid awake and talked or just enjoyed each other's company until she fell asleep. We both slept peacefully until 4am. There was another code shortly before and one of the last things she asked me was whether the family of the person who passed got angel wings. When the end did come, I'm thankful it was fast, even though it was hard for me to watch. I am so glad I was with her, and I am so thankful that I can rest in knowing that she's waiting for us in Heaven. She's not sick anymore! No more dialysis and no more pain.
Grandma was the best. She loved her family so much and it showed! Before she got so sick, she loved to go shopping and would spoil us grands to pieces. Even after she went on dialysis whenever she felt like it, she would go out and get the little ones a little something. She also loved telling us stories, old sayings, and her Larimore high school chants. “Oh we're from Larimore high school! We couldn't be any prouder! And if you don't believe us, we'll scream a little louder!” And then she'd do just that...scream a little louder! I practically have them memorized! Grandma knew literally everyone's birthdays and was sure to go to the dollar store and stock up on cards at least once a month. She had many friends and pen-pals and loved them all dearly. Grandma had a big heart and she loved her grands “a bushel and a peck and a hug around the neck.”
Now I'm going to have to go to Grandma's house, and she won't be there. I can't call her every time I get a good grade or a scholarship. She would always be so excited! I am going to miss Grandma's smile and her hugs and kisses. I'll miss going to hold her arm at dialysis. I'll miss her timer going off in her purse and having to dig into the bottomless depths to find it. I'm going to miss going over to wash and roll her hair and tidy up the house. I'm going to miss Sunday dinner with her at her spot at our table. I'll miss our talks about anything and everything, and sometimes nothing. I have so many precious memories of her and will treasure them always.
I know that Grandma wanted to be there when I graduate from nursing school, and it makes me sad that she won't be, but I know that she will be there in spirit. And just because I miss you so much, I'll pour a little extra of my heart into caring for people.
Grandma, I love and miss you so very much! Heaven is a sweeter place with you there! Give Karrick a big hug and kiss from his big sister, Kayla. I'll see you soon!
Kayla a.k.a. “Shelley” I really did love it when you called me that!
I miss you Grandma... a lot. More than a lot, but not even I will try to find a word for how much. I love you and I'll miss you so much. I already miss coming over to your house on Fridays to do cleaning and wash your hair. I loved the long, silly conversations we would have while I combed your hair afterwards and you insisted that I do it harder and scratch your scalp with that comb. Then you would hand me bobby pins as needed while I pin-curled the front, and braided the back. We would talk about everything, and I do mean EVERTHING; food, clothes, weather, people, my latest story ideas, books, work, dogs, boys (at your insistance, I might add;) piano lessons, how you felt and what we'd been reading in our devotions lately. There where things I only talked to you about, and I loved that you loved talking as much or even more than me. I miss coming to dialysis with you, where we would also talk each other's ears off, work on your latest crossword puzzle, and make new friends, something we're both quite good at. I miss the days when you would let me help you in the kitchen, despite my clumsiness and messiness. You taught me how to make rhubarb pie, my favorite, from rhubarb fresh from Poppa's garden, which you warned me not to eat raw and unsweetened; I did it anyway, and boy! did I regret it! I miss shopping with you, even though I never loved that type of excursion as much as you did. I remember pulling into the Walmart parking lot and knowing that we would spend at least two hours in there, a good portion of which would be spent in the purse aisle; your love of purses is truly legendary. I miss stops at fast food restaurants and stores that mom would never have approved of, but allowed anyway, for our sakes. I miss spending the night at your house and trying to wake up early enough to be up before you and Poppa: it never happened, even in later years. Every time I woke up in the 'kid's room,' it was to the gentle roll of your voices as you read your morning devotions together and drank your coffee. I will miss Christmas Eve at your house, which you always anticipated with as much childish glee as your grandkids. I promise you, we'll keep it alive for you, but it just won't be the same.
Do you remember my seventh birthday, the year I asked you for a big Teddy bear with a huge red bow around his neck? You delivered, and 'Paws' still has a place of honor in my bedroom. You were a great gift giver, but he was always one my favorites. Whenever I embroider now, I think of you, because you were the first one to buy me the suppies and encourage me to give it a try. That was another of your gifts; you were a cheerleader, the person who told me that I could do anything I put my mind to. When I decided that I would one day be a published author, you told me you knew I would be the best. When I started the prerequisites for the Dental hygiene program, you said that teeth were disgusting and that I was a crazy girl, but then you also said that I would be the funniest and most entertaining hygienist ever. When I started piano lessons, you encouraged me in that too and loved it when I played at recitals and for offertory at church. You were so proud of me and Kayla and our jobs at the nursing home and loved the fact that we loved it. I will even miss the stories you told over, and over, and over.... and over. Sunday dinner will never be the same without hearing about everything from your days in Larimore, North Dakota to the silly things your kids and grandkids said and did when they were little.
Mini will miss you too. She loved seeing you on Sundays, having her bellly rubbed, and eating the treats you brought her. She licks away my tears and tries to make me feel better.
We made so many great memories together, and there were so many more I wanted to make. I wanted you to see me graduate high school next year, then college as a Dental Hygienist a few years after that. I wanted to show you my driver's licence (when I get it) and take you for a spin in my big black pickup truck (when and if if I get it). I wanted to get my first boyfriend one day and let you judge him on everything from his hair to the brand of socks he wore, but mostly on how he treated me, because there was no one good enough for your Grands. I wanted you to see my wedding and eventually enjoy great-grandkids. I wanted to give you an autograughed copy of my first novel. I wanted a lot, and it'll be hard to never have it, but I know that you will be there, in a very special way. Meanwhile, I have the memories and the comfort that you are happy and well, and making Heaven so much sweeter. Give yourself a hug from me, then give one to Jesus. Enjoy your new home and I'll see you again some grand day.
Love, Butterfly
Kalli, grandaughter, age 16
Do you remember my seventh birthday, the year I asked you for a big Teddy bear with a huge red bow around his neck? You delivered, and 'Paws' still has a place of honor in my bedroom. You were a great gift giver, but he was always one my favorites. Whenever I embroider now, I think of you, because you were the first one to buy me the suppies and encourage me to give it a try. That was another of your gifts; you were a cheerleader, the person who told me that I could do anything I put my mind to. When I decided that I would one day be a published author, you told me you knew I would be the best. When I started the prerequisites for the Dental hygiene program, you said that teeth were disgusting and that I was a crazy girl, but then you also said that I would be the funniest and most entertaining hygienist ever. When I started piano lessons, you encouraged me in that too and loved it when I played at recitals and for offertory at church. You were so proud of me and Kayla and our jobs at the nursing home and loved the fact that we loved it. I will even miss the stories you told over, and over, and over.... and over. Sunday dinner will never be the same without hearing about everything from your days in Larimore, North Dakota to the silly things your kids and grandkids said and did when they were little.
Mini will miss you too. She loved seeing you on Sundays, having her bellly rubbed, and eating the treats you brought her. She licks away my tears and tries to make me feel better.
We made so many great memories together, and there were so many more I wanted to make. I wanted you to see me graduate high school next year, then college as a Dental Hygienist a few years after that. I wanted to show you my driver's licence (when I get it) and take you for a spin in my big black pickup truck (when and if if I get it). I wanted to get my first boyfriend one day and let you judge him on everything from his hair to the brand of socks he wore, but mostly on how he treated me, because there was no one good enough for your Grands. I wanted you to see my wedding and eventually enjoy great-grandkids. I wanted to give you an autograughed copy of my first novel. I wanted a lot, and it'll be hard to never have it, but I know that you will be there, in a very special way. Meanwhile, I have the memories and the comfort that you are happy and well, and making Heaven so much sweeter. Give yourself a hug from me, then give one to Jesus. Enjoy your new home and I'll see you again some grand day.
Love, Butterfly
Kalli, grandaughter, age 16
How do you live without the one who gave you life? Mom taught me so many things; to sort laundry, write thank you letters, pick peas and make balanced meals, but she never told me how to live without her. It feels impossible, and yet perhaps she gave me enough love in those 40 and a half years to last me at least another 40. My mind searches for early memories; they include countless trips to Karcher Mall where I learned to walk, and many excurions to Kmart. Mom said, and Rick agrees, “Shopping makes Karen grumpy, but food helps.” Some of my favorite places were were the M&W lunch counter where I ordered a Chef Salad and Mr Picwicks in the mall for Rocky Road Pie.
Mom taught me to love photography by faithfully taking us to Sears or JCPenney--first weekly, then monthly, and finally annually as I grew. I was her “Miracle Baby” and she was determined to show off my pictures to friends far and wide. Mom and Gram always had plans for a new frock in which to dress me, therefore an ample amount of time was spent in House of Fabrics and The Cloth Merchant.
I was blessed with consistancy and routine. Every morning when I'd arise, mom would be there at the stove making bacon and eggs for dad while he sat at the table with his Bible and a cup of coffee. I'd wave from the big kitchen window when he left and since it was still dark, daddy would flash his lights to let mom and I know that he knew we were there. After that, we'd make our plans for the day, which often involved going to grams' porch for coffee and crepes.
Mom loved kids. Even before she met Brian, or I arrived in the family, this was a well know fact. So much that it was rumored that her children would certainly be spoiled. While Brian of course was, mom was determined to keep the same from happening to me. Hence, there were many church service-time visits to a little corner behind the Fay's nearby trailer. Mom loved to tell the story about taking me there to discipline me once, and I requested a word before punishment ensued. I pleaded that I didn't think the Fays would approve of her using their trailer for this purpose, but she insisted that they would, and so it went.
In spite of all mom's shopping, one thing was certain, she would be there when dad arrived home from work and supper would be ready. She literally put the fear of God in me about feeding your husband; telling me over and over that a man who worked hard to privide, needed a good meal when he got home. I still fear that corner of the Fays trailer some nights when I run late with supper.
I remember once when mom tried to go to work in the post office. I wasn't very cooperative, and I think this endeavor only made it a few days. I still can picture the afternoon she came home and told me that she'd quit. It was the best news I'd ever heard and she was the most beautiful sight in the world with her dark hair and coat complete with fur collar.
She was there to hold and rock me through my first experience with grief. I can still remember how safe her arms felt when she broke the news that my grandpa had passed. This past Sunday morning when she flew away, I longed for those arms.
Mom had an intense fear of mountain roads, but still she supported every camping trip, packing at least three times the amount of necessary food. She loved time spent outdoors with the family, and ever after she was much too sick to go anymore, she still planned to “when she felt better.” She was the best fire-tender ever.
She was my biggest cheer leader. She believed in me and thought I could do ANYTHING. She would always tell others “Karen is so talented, and she didn't get it from me.” Just this past mothers day, I told her that any small talent I might have, did indeed come from her because she gave me self-worth and confidence and made me believe that I could do anything I put my mind to. Her encouragement and prayers gave me so much courage in parenting. I don't know how I'll make it without that.
When her baby fell in love and moved a thousand miles away, she never one time tried to get me to stay. She put on the bravest face, and told me not to worry about her, declaring she was just happy that I was happy and she wanted me to be in God's will even if she never saw me again. I think God rewarded her for that attitude because just two years later, I was back in Idaho, hubby and blond baby girl in tow. I'm so glad my children were able to be raised around her. She took her job of Grandma so seriously, but I remember when she'd come to see a new baby she would always come to me first and ask how HER baby was. I'm thankful she was here to meet all of her grandbabies. Her excitement was equal with each one and she always jumped whenever she thought they needed her. She spent countless hours holding and rocking Kaderick after his mast cell disease diagnosis, before the medications got straightened out and he couldn't sleep more than a few minutes at a time because of incessant itching. She knew I didn't get much rest at night and was busy teaching school so a couple of times each week, she drove nearly 45 minutes one way to do this for his naps. This was around the time that she started feeling sick and I know that many days, she didn't feel like being there. That's who she was though...others came first.
In recent years, I had the unique privilege of being her daughter first, her best friend second and finally her pastors wife. This gave me three good excuses to call her or do special things for her. She was always so grateful for everything that it made doing for her sheer joy! I'm sorry I didn't take you shopping more, I'm sorry I didn't sit with you longer, I'm sorry I didn't squeeze you tighter, but I couldn't have possibly loved you more! I'm so glad I made that knifla for you last Friday night. I know it wasn't as good as the knifla you and Gram are sharing now, but it gives me comfort knowing that I made you smile. Towards the end there were days Mom didn't feel like talking and she spent a lot of time sleeping, so I'd file things away for when she had a good day and we would have a nice long visit. I guess I'll have to get some bigger files, but I don't think it will be too long before our next visit anyway. I certainly cherish our last one. Sunday afternoon in the ICU it was just the two of us for a while and she was feeling so happy and blessed and she had no pain. Looking back now, I think she was already half-way home. She said she didn't plan to go anytime soon but she was singing songs she wanted at her funeral and told me to remember them when the time came. She said how sorry she was for being up and down spiritually when I was a child and then rejoiced that it was different now. She had no questions and no fears about going to Heaven and she sure was excited to hold her baby, my big brother Dale Edwin. She struggled to think of the name of one of the songs and said, “You know...the one that says, “I will tell the saints and angels as I lay my burden down, Jesus led me all the way.” And then she said, “Because He did.”
That's the picture I'm carrying in my heart this morning and will cling to in the days to come. My beautiful mother, laying down her burden of poor health and all the other things she didn't understand in this life at the feet of Jesus and rejoicing in the simple fact that Jesus led her all the way. I'll see you soon, Momma. “All the way My Saviour Leads Me."
Mom taught me to love photography by faithfully taking us to Sears or JCPenney--first weekly, then monthly, and finally annually as I grew. I was her “Miracle Baby” and she was determined to show off my pictures to friends far and wide. Mom and Gram always had plans for a new frock in which to dress me, therefore an ample amount of time was spent in House of Fabrics and The Cloth Merchant.
I was blessed with consistancy and routine. Every morning when I'd arise, mom would be there at the stove making bacon and eggs for dad while he sat at the table with his Bible and a cup of coffee. I'd wave from the big kitchen window when he left and since it was still dark, daddy would flash his lights to let mom and I know that he knew we were there. After that, we'd make our plans for the day, which often involved going to grams' porch for coffee and crepes.
Mom loved kids. Even before she met Brian, or I arrived in the family, this was a well know fact. So much that it was rumored that her children would certainly be spoiled. While Brian of course was, mom was determined to keep the same from happening to me. Hence, there were many church service-time visits to a little corner behind the Fay's nearby trailer. Mom loved to tell the story about taking me there to discipline me once, and I requested a word before punishment ensued. I pleaded that I didn't think the Fays would approve of her using their trailer for this purpose, but she insisted that they would, and so it went.
In spite of all mom's shopping, one thing was certain, she would be there when dad arrived home from work and supper would be ready. She literally put the fear of God in me about feeding your husband; telling me over and over that a man who worked hard to privide, needed a good meal when he got home. I still fear that corner of the Fays trailer some nights when I run late with supper.
I remember once when mom tried to go to work in the post office. I wasn't very cooperative, and I think this endeavor only made it a few days. I still can picture the afternoon she came home and told me that she'd quit. It was the best news I'd ever heard and she was the most beautiful sight in the world with her dark hair and coat complete with fur collar.
She was there to hold and rock me through my first experience with grief. I can still remember how safe her arms felt when she broke the news that my grandpa had passed. This past Sunday morning when she flew away, I longed for those arms.
Mom had an intense fear of mountain roads, but still she supported every camping trip, packing at least three times the amount of necessary food. She loved time spent outdoors with the family, and ever after she was much too sick to go anymore, she still planned to “when she felt better.” She was the best fire-tender ever.
She was my biggest cheer leader. She believed in me and thought I could do ANYTHING. She would always tell others “Karen is so talented, and she didn't get it from me.” Just this past mothers day, I told her that any small talent I might have, did indeed come from her because she gave me self-worth and confidence and made me believe that I could do anything I put my mind to. Her encouragement and prayers gave me so much courage in parenting. I don't know how I'll make it without that.
When her baby fell in love and moved a thousand miles away, she never one time tried to get me to stay. She put on the bravest face, and told me not to worry about her, declaring she was just happy that I was happy and she wanted me to be in God's will even if she never saw me again. I think God rewarded her for that attitude because just two years later, I was back in Idaho, hubby and blond baby girl in tow. I'm so glad my children were able to be raised around her. She took her job of Grandma so seriously, but I remember when she'd come to see a new baby she would always come to me first and ask how HER baby was. I'm thankful she was here to meet all of her grandbabies. Her excitement was equal with each one and she always jumped whenever she thought they needed her. She spent countless hours holding and rocking Kaderick after his mast cell disease diagnosis, before the medications got straightened out and he couldn't sleep more than a few minutes at a time because of incessant itching. She knew I didn't get much rest at night and was busy teaching school so a couple of times each week, she drove nearly 45 minutes one way to do this for his naps. This was around the time that she started feeling sick and I know that many days, she didn't feel like being there. That's who she was though...others came first.
In recent years, I had the unique privilege of being her daughter first, her best friend second and finally her pastors wife. This gave me three good excuses to call her or do special things for her. She was always so grateful for everything that it made doing for her sheer joy! I'm sorry I didn't take you shopping more, I'm sorry I didn't sit with you longer, I'm sorry I didn't squeeze you tighter, but I couldn't have possibly loved you more! I'm so glad I made that knifla for you last Friday night. I know it wasn't as good as the knifla you and Gram are sharing now, but it gives me comfort knowing that I made you smile. Towards the end there were days Mom didn't feel like talking and she spent a lot of time sleeping, so I'd file things away for when she had a good day and we would have a nice long visit. I guess I'll have to get some bigger files, but I don't think it will be too long before our next visit anyway. I certainly cherish our last one. Sunday afternoon in the ICU it was just the two of us for a while and she was feeling so happy and blessed and she had no pain. Looking back now, I think she was already half-way home. She said she didn't plan to go anytime soon but she was singing songs she wanted at her funeral and told me to remember them when the time came. She said how sorry she was for being up and down spiritually when I was a child and then rejoiced that it was different now. She had no questions and no fears about going to Heaven and she sure was excited to hold her baby, my big brother Dale Edwin. She struggled to think of the name of one of the songs and said, “You know...the one that says, “I will tell the saints and angels as I lay my burden down, Jesus led me all the way.” And then she said, “Because He did.”
That's the picture I'm carrying in my heart this morning and will cling to in the days to come. My beautiful mother, laying down her burden of poor health and all the other things she didn't understand in this life at the feet of Jesus and rejoicing in the simple fact that Jesus led her all the way. I'll see you soon, Momma. “All the way My Saviour Leads Me."
I miss you a lot. I know you are happier in Heaven! I have lots of good memories about you, but I wish you were here. I know you feel much better there. Say hello to Karrick for me! I know you'll be happy to see your mom and dad and everyone else. In a way it's a good thing, and in a way it's a bad thing. I love you Grandma!


0 comments:
Post a Comment