Rick's new job occasionally takes him to Seattle for business meetings. He most always makes the flight up and back home on the same day, but this time he had meeting scheduled for two consecutive days and arranged for me to come along with him. Rick put some effort into this trip and called it my
"40th Birthday Trip."
Seattle is a quick flight from Boise...less than an hour. Mt Rainier was peeking up through the clouds to greet us on our way into the city and had a way of popping up on the horizon often throughout the trip.
We stayed on Elliot Bay and our hotel, The Edgewater, was right out on the pier. The silly hotel desk clerk thought we were on our honeymoon and even though we corrected her (it's actually been over 21 years) she upgraded us free of charge to an amazing water view suite.
This was the deck of our hotel. The Edgewater is pretty amazing in that it's in the heart of the city and just minutes walk to the famous Pike's Market, yet seaside it is quiet and peaceful.
Pike's Market itself was a little people-y for our country bumpkin taste, and I think we may have gone in like only one shop besides the original Starbucks which just so happens to be there. We also ate supper our first night out upstairs at The Athenian with it's gorgeous water views. The Athenian is loaded with history as it was built in 1909 and most of the furnishings are original. "Sleepless in Seattle" also has several scenes which were shot here. Anyway, all that beside, the food was yummy and the company was of course delightful.
This was the night view from our balcony. The weather was absolutely perfect for our trip. We slept with the patio doors open to the sea air and I slept better than I have in years. It's seriously probably been 20+ years since I slept the night away without waking at least once for some reason or another. I think it comes from being a light sleeper and then years of being a mom. Even when I'm away I usually can't sleep for worrying about the littles. Maybe I was just extra tired (I've heard that older people need lots of rest) and maybe it was because I knew they were in a capable 20 year olds future-nurse hands.
On day two, a friend of mine who lives in Portland, drove up to spend time with me while Rick was in meetings. We had lunch...she treated me for my birthday even though she'd already showed up at my front door earlier bearing a caramel apple...and we "shopped." By "shopped" I mean that we looked at things in the gift shops nearby to the Space Needle. We didn't buy a single thing...we don't either one really like shopping.
We go way back to high school and have kinda always been in each others corner.
That evening, Rick and I hopped on the ferry and caught a ride to Bainbridge Island for supper.
I wasn't crazy about a boat ride, but I knew he really wanted to do this so I went along with the plan and it ended up being sooo much fun!!
We ate at Doc's Marina and let me tell you, the crab risotto was A-MAZ-ING!!
After dinner, we walked the harbor view trail back to the ferry station for the beautiful hour-long sunset journey back into the city. That is Mt Rainier in the background but there was a barge fire on one of the islands and the smoke kind of blocked our view.
The next morning, Rick had one short meeting and then we rented a car and drove to the peaceful Gig Harbour for lunch, leaving in plenty of time to make our 8pm flight back to Boise and the kiddos. When it was time to go, we started to say that all good things must come to an end, but that’s not really true...the best things in life never end e.g. Heaven to name just one. Life is full of twists and turns and the future is uncertain at best. We choose to live in the moment and enjoy the blessings along the way. Rick is one of many pastors who must work a second job; for the last 20 yrs, Loomis has been good to us and Rick has been good to them!! Plus, he’s my rock-my real-and a true miracle of God’s grace.
We did pick up some souvenirs for the kiddos and one for this momma. Drinking morning coffee out of my rooster mug has eased the separation anxiety I am having from the water views.
When I woke up the morning after getting home I looked at the flowers on my nightstand and at first glance wondered where my kiddos had found such pretty grocery store flowers....second glance revealed that they were all from my flower gardens!! Kalli has inherited the gift for tasteful flower arranging for sure!!
And now, although it's off-topic, I shall entertain you with a couple of kiddie quotes.
Kaderick told his grandparents yesterday that, “when the two of you don’t come to church, the rest of us just turn on music and have dances.”
He’s a hoot...the things he thinks of!!
He’s a hoot...the things he thinks of!!
Kaite told us today that she thinks the “associate president” (Vice President Mike Pence) is soooo handsome.
Kammy has been doing some graphic design lately, She can draw almost as good on the computer as with a pencil!!
And then here is a rock she painted recently for her horseback instructor.
Last quote is mine, the 40year old kid...
Build a Wall
There’s a crisis at the border of our families, parents! We must stand up and build a wall around our homes. Satan is separating families at this border because, in our “tolerance” we are allowing Biblically illegal activities to infiltrate our homes and in some cases even causing a complete breakdown of our families. Things are sneaking in under cover of darkness; spiritual rape and soul disease run rampant and unchecked. We must be willing to pay the price to keep the enemy out. We’ve got to pick up a shovel and get to work. Our young people’s heavenly citizenship is dependent on us putting up a powerful wall of prayer and purpose while steering them gently to God’s ports of pardon and grace.
There’s a crisis at the border of our families, parents! We must stand up and build a wall around our homes. Satan is separating families at this border because, in our “tolerance” we are allowing Biblically illegal activities to infiltrate our homes and in some cases even causing a complete breakdown of our families. Things are sneaking in under cover of darkness; spiritual rape and soul disease run rampant and unchecked. We must be willing to pay the price to keep the enemy out. We’ve got to pick up a shovel and get to work. Our young people’s heavenly citizenship is dependent on us putting up a powerful wall of prayer and purpose while steering them gently to God’s ports of pardon and grace.




















0 comments:
Post a Comment