Sunday, October 29, 2017

Happy Reformation!

This post is mostly to update friends and family on our recent heath and adventures, but I just have to say how great it was to celebrate the Reformation this morning! Thank God for Martin Luther--thank God for the gift of grace through faith! Our pastor treated us to a handout of those 95 thesis in modern day English. It is both thrilling and convicting!

Friday was quite a day. I had an appointment with my oncologist and Kammy had an appointment at the orthopedic surgeon. Kayla and Kalli were both working part of the day and we woke up to a broken down Yukon. We somehow managed to make everything on time in Rick's little unreliable but evidently more reliable than the reliable vhehicle. Haha! It is a sight to behold! Well over 200,000 miles and very little paint left, but hey--they are both paid for so that's a blessing.
The results of my flow cytometry test didn't reveal any surprises, and that is a very good thing! My white counts have come up slightly, which is another piece of good news. It's a little disconcerting when my oncologist thinks I have an autoimmune disease causing all the crazy blood results and the rheumatologist thinks it is cancer....but hey, I think it's better that way than the other way around.  =) I wish I could say that the oncologist released me from his care, but he wants to keep tracking things. The next step would be a bone marrow biopsy if things don't stay on track, but we pray it doesn't come to that!
Kammy definitely has scoliosis just like her doctor thought, but it's only 13% and they don't brace until 20-30% and they don't do surgery until 50%. There is a chance she will need a brace during this growing period, but he was almost certain that surgery won't be needed. More good news!
Finally, some of you have asked about my mom. She did have to go in for a fistulagram on her fistula due to it failing, but everyone prayed and when they did the fistulagram, all looked well. She went back for dialysis the following day and the fistula worked! Her nurses and techs were happy and amazed; one of her favorites saying that he'd awakened at 4am to pray for her.

Rick and I went on a fun little date to "Flatbread" the other day (yummiest salad and healthy pizza ever) and we brought home little pumpkins for our artists to paint. It's a tradition in our home. I had grown some pumpkins this year, but they were the miniature variety...small is good, but these were too small. Anyway, turns out you are never too old to paint pumpkins. Even Kayla did one. Of course it was an anatomy lesson. lol! She's currently busy memorizing the 640 muscles and their origin, inversion and action for her next exam!
 
Kammy has been drawing lately, it's one of her very favorite things to do. She definitely has the Germain talent going on in those hands! I think she could easily be a painter like some of her great aunts! The way she's developing the shading and blending skills is pretty amazing for an 11 year old.
 
Kalli writes or stays busy in the kitchen in her spare time. She and Kaderick like to make things together. Last Sunday, these caramel apples graced our table and went home with our people after church. They are quite delicious!
 

I don't have a picture to back this up, but Kaite has become my best speller ever. I guess it's her specialty. It's so fun and wonderful being a mom and spending my days with these precious lives. I love seeing their unique talents and personalities develop.
 
October was pastor appreciation month and we were spoiled. Rick got a wheelbarrow among other things, and I got this beautiful chicken calendar. The children were all remembered as well, and of course we remembered to send special thanks to the leaders and heroes in our lives.
 
 
Five big trees = a lot of leaves to rake, but I guess the exercise is good for me. The kids are always so good to help, especially with the bagging which is the hardest on my knees.

 
 
This scripture was very special to me leading up to my appointment on Friday, especially as I started running a low grade temp and having bleeding gums--two symptoms you don't want when you're being checked for blood cancers! This is by my desk and I can't tell you how many times a day I look at it and that month of January 2018 as a reminder that God has a plan for our future!
 
It just wouldn't be right to leave you without a Kaderick funny, so I give you this. He got up the other morning and said, "I want something for breakfast that doesn't involve corn, wheat or grain." He ended up settling for blueberry muffins. He evidently isn't aware of the wheat flour in there, but what he doesn't know won't hurt, right?
 
Well, it's Sunday afternoon and I'm off to get ready for church. Wherever you are, may God be close and bless you good!
 


 




2 comments:

Anonymous

Continuing to pray for you and your family. God is good

The Dickinsons

Karen, enjoyed catching up some on your blog! I was so sorry to read about the physical ailments your family has been through recently. Scary times… But God! May God be extremely close to y'all during these days and May everything turn out good! Hugs to you from Cincinnati, ~Heather~

Post a Comment

...and underneath are the everlasting arms...Duet. 33:27