We've all done done it, and sometimes in honest gratefulness to God for all these wonderful "blessings" as we perceive them.
But what about when the job is lost, the children are sick, your marriage is ho hum and the church service is dry and dead? Are you still blessed then? Are those people with the new hardwood floors and vacation cabin really living that much closer to God than you? Have you ever heard someone infer that the reverses in life are a result of our straying from The Father? Yes, God does love to give good things to those who ask, but what is your definition of good? What does it really mean to be blessed?
May I submit Matthew 5:2-12?
2 And he opened his mouth, and taught them, saying,
3 Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
4 Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted.
5 Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.
6 Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.
7 Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy.
8 Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.
9 Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.
10 Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
11 Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.
12 Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you.
We think we're doing the right thing when we give God the credit for these material "blessings" as we see them, but really, who isn't grateful when things are going well? How funny it would seem to hear someone say, "I am feeling so blessed today, I just got a pay cut!" And yet, God's word tells us in red letters, that these kinds of things are the "blessings." Our dear persecuted brothers in Christ tell us not to pray for their deliverance, but rather that God might give them strength. I think they may understand what it means to be "blessed."
The things we think are "good" for us may be of the enemy. The "luxurious" could in fact be to our spiritual detriment more than a token of God's blessing or approval. God alone knows what things are truly good for our souls. I remember years ago, as a young family, we had built a new home and were entertaining guests when a person said, "Oh, Karen.....God has blessed you!" I know that he meant well, but that new home, while I was thoroughly grateful for it, did not even come close to the things with which God had blessed me. His presence was no nearer or more real to me in my new home, than when I resided in a tiny 2 bedroom single wide trailer.
I want to want to be blessed! It's not as easy at it seems though, when you consider the true meaning. I want to want God's good gifts, but that's easier said then done, because I don't have the eyes of providence. God knows what is best, but sometimes it hurts terribly in the human. Yet, I know it is true, because the most painful events in my life are those that have made me a more loving and compassionate person. I am able to say "Thank you Lord, for those BLESSINGS" now, but they sure didn't make any sense at the time. The pain was unbearable and I couldn't see beyond the shadows. I saw no point to my mourning, no possible good outcome for the persecution.
I'm learning, but I don't have all knowledge. I only hope to remember that,
"We pray for blessings
We pray for peace
Comfort for family, protection while we sleep
We pray for healing, for prosperity
We pray for Your mighty hand to ease our suffering
All the while, You hear each spoken need
Yet love is way too much to give us lesser things
(Chorus)
'Cause what if your blessings come through raindrops
What if Your healing comes through tears
What if the thousand sleepless nights are what it takes to know You're near
What if trials of this life are Your mercies in disguise
We pray for wisdom
Your voice to hear
We cry in anger when we cannot feel You near
We doubt your goodness, we doubt your love
As if every promise from Your Word is not enough
And all the while, You hear each desperate plea
And long that we'd have faith to believe
Chorus
When friends betray us
When darkness seems to win
We know the pain reminds this heart
That this is not, this is not our home
Chorus
What if my greatest disappointments
Or the aching of this life
Is the revealing of a greater thirst this world can't satisfy
What if trials of this life
The rain, the storms, the hardest nights
Are your mercies in disguise"
-song lyrics by Laura Story
While we're on the subject of blessings.....do children count? I know they are a reward, the Bible says so! Smile.
Here are a few recent fun sayings/incidents from our house.
Kaderick entered the dermatologists office under duress, screaming, "Go out, go out, Go out!" punctuated only by loud sniffling and violent sobs. By the time we left, his tone had changed drastically to, "That fun. I like doccer!" as he clutched his prized sticker in his hand. Reminds me of how we worry and fret unnecessarily. How we let things get so big and scary in our minds. Trust the doctor, he knows what's best, and there might even be a little treat in it for you.
(Do you see the illustration there?)
Kaite was excitedly jabbering about her upcoming birthday, and Kaderick started to talk about his plans for his birthday....."Kaderick, your birthday is a long way away' " she said. "Oh yeah...." he says, "It's all the way outside."
Kaderick got in Kammy's room the other day and kind of had a hay day. When we found him, he acted all guilty and tried to tell us that, "I cleaning Kammy's room!"
Yesterday at dinner Kaite said, "Would you please row the gravy boat this way?"
Today, Kaderick wanted Kammy to play with him and she was trying to sneak away. He said, "You tan run, but you tan't hide!"
Have I mentioned that I love being a mom and I'm so happy that I get to be with these kiddos all day long?!? Thanks for making that possible, Richard Bork! I love you! I truly believe that it's making a difference in their (the children's) lives. Not because I'm someone, but because I'm able to be a 24/7 mother. I'm so pleased with the way they handle the "blessings" life gives them. The good and the bad. They are learning to rejoice in all seasons. I was proud of their performance in the recent easter program and so happy to know that it wasn't just a "show time." Let's face it, we aren't the most talented family on the block so to speak. But, they joyfully used what that had to glorify God and to endeavor to be a blessing and light to others.

1 comments:
Thank you for these great thoughts. I needed this today.
Post a Comment