This is actually a re-post from a little over a year ago, but it has been my theme song over the past year, and I thought it appropriate with Easter around the corner. A couple of weeks ago, while I was making the bed, I was talking to God about some of the things that I fail to understand. I felt that he gently reminded me of the fact that He alone is our plea, and that He truly is enough. My faith rests in the only sure and changeless anchor; Jesus Christ! That is when this old hymn came to mind, and I have not been able to get away from it. I did a little research on it and thought I'd share a bit of what I found.My Faith Has Found a Resting Place
My faith has found a resting place,
Not in device or creed;
I trust the ever living One,
His wounds for me shall plead.
Refrain: I need no other argument,
I need no other plea,
It is enough that Jesus died,
And that He died for me.
Enough for me that Jesus saves,
This ends my fear and doubt;
A sinful soul I come to Him,
He’ll never cast me out.
Refrain
My heart is leaning on the Word,
The living Word of God,
Salvation by my Savior’s Name,
Salvation through His blood.
Refrain
My great Physician heals the sick,
The lost He came to save;
For me His precious blood He shed,
For me His life He gave.
"My Faith Has Found A Resting Place." The text was written, under the pseudonym of Lidie H. Edmunds, by Eliza Edmunds Hewitt (1851-1920). A lifelong resident of Philadelphia, PA, Mrs. Hewitt wrote many songs which became popular and are found in our books, such as "Sunshine in My Soul, "When We All Get To Heaven," and "More About Jesus". The tune (No Other Plea, Landas, or Norse Air) is usually identified as a Norwegian folk melody originally with the words "The Hardy Norseman's House of Yore." It has been attributed to Belgian opera composer Andre Ernest Modeste Gretry (1741-1813). The arrangement for use with the hymn was made by William James Kirkpatrick (1838-1920). The song first appeared in Songs of Joy and Gladness, No. 2 published around 1890 or 1891 which Kirkpatrick compiled for McDonald, Gill and Co. of Boston, MA, and Chicago, IL.
I believe that 'My Faith Has Found A Resting Place' is perhaps the best statement of faith that exists in hymns. In my study, I found that many feel that perhaps the song was not found in many older denominational hymnbooks because it is somewhat anti-denominational in nature. However, as people eventually became tired of denominational dogmatism and sought for a better, more solid basis for their religious convictions, the song was seen as an expression of that spirit and was included in the more recent denominational hymnbooks. Hence it is found in many of the 'old' hymnbooks that we now use in our churches. It's message surely refutes the idea that any one of us have a corner on God or his glory!
This song includes everything that I like in a hymn...
Christology: The doctrine of Christ–Who He is and what He has done.
Hamartiology: The doctrine of sin–human sinfulness and our inability to save ourselves.
Soteriology: The doctrine of salvation–cleansing from our guilt and sin by faith alone through grace alone.


2 comments:
Well said, Karen. I am so grateful for the blood that was shed on Calvary!
Cindy
I love this song. "My heart is leaning on the Word, the living Word of God." My favorite phrase.
Post a Comment