....a few Proverbs 31 Women

(Pro 31:10) Who can find a virtuous woman? For her price is far above rubies.
A truly moral and upright woman is as rare today is it was in Bible time. Sadly it is so, even in church circles. Such a woman is of great treasure to God and to her husband. God and my husband both NEED me to be this kind of woman. I am of unbelievable value to them! The devil would like to make us FEEL unworthy so that we will BECOME unworthy.
(Pro 31:11) The heart of her husband doth safely trust in her, so that he shall have no need of spoil.
My husband puts his trust in me daily with our children and our home; making decisions that will prosper our family spiritually, financially, physically emotionally and mentally. This is no small thing when done earnestly and prayerfully. Never let anyone say of this kind of woman, “She is JUST a homemaker.”
(Pro 31:12) She will do him good and not evil all the days of her life.
This was the promise we made, ladies. “To love and to cherish -- For better or worse – til death do us part.”
(Pro 31:13) She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands.
She does not do only the minimum, but willingly SEEKS more work to occupy her homemaking days. I try to make sure my house is clean, tidy and in good operating order at all times. I am teaching my girls to do the same. I don't have boys, so I can say this; but boys ought to be taught this as well. I clothe myself and the children neatly and keep an attractive appearance. (By attractive I am not saying we are beauty queens here, but we do our best).
(Pro 31:14) She is like the merchants' ships; she bringeth her food from afar.
As much as I hate it, I make my way to the grocery store when it is necessary. I also make a weekly menu to prevent unnecessary purchases, extra money-blowing trips to market, and to eliminate the sometimes torturous “What's for supper” question.
(Pro 31:15) She riseth also while it is yet night, and giveth meat to her household, and a portion to her maidens.
Hey, where are my maidens? In studying I learned that the portion she is giving to these maidens is most likely not just a portion of food, she is giving them a run-down of the days duties. I don’t have the maidens, but it is still my duty to plan and organize the day, to dole out the daily chores along with the food. In my case this often includes a note in hubby’s lunch box, “Remember to call_____ or go by _____ on your way home. Love you!” This ‘portioning’ up of the day might also include reminding the children of their chores or a special school project. If I go through the day half-cocked, so does the rest of my family. I also have found though that sometimes in order to provide for my family’s needs, I must sacrifice some sleep—or maybe some of that coveted 'me time'.
(Pro 31:16) She considereth a field, and buyeth it: with the fruit of her hands she planteth a vineyard.
Whatever items I buy should be carefully considered and to the profit of the entire family. I ought not to use my husband's hard-earned money foolishly. When possible, I should garden, can and preserve for winter months. The vineyard spoken of here can also apply to the raising of our children. They are our vineyard – the forever real and eternally lasting fruit of our labours.
(Pro 31:17) She girdeth her loins with strength, and strengtheneth her arms.
I want to be stronger in all areas of my life – from my devotion to God to my health and everywhere in-between. I am important to my family and they need me to be at my best.
(Pro 31:18) She perceiveth that her merchandise is good: her candle goeth not out by night.
I should not buy ‘junk’ but rather attempt to purchase items of quality at a reasonable rate. I have purchased some very nice name brand clothing that is now on baby #4. We all love sales, but buying something just because it was a ‘good deal’ is not really a good deal. I guess it’s not enough that she rises early? She has to stay up late too? Well, you know what they say, “A man’s work is from sun to sun but a woman’s work is never done.” Actually, I believe that this verse has a much deeper meaning. A spiritual meaning. She perceiveth that her merchandise is good or that her profession in God is real and genuine. Her candle (her light to her family and the world around her) goeth not out. The glorious light of the Gospel, will always continue even in the darkest times and though it may be dampened, and blown upon by various winds, it must not go out in our life.
(Pro 31:19) She layeth her hands to the spindle, and her hands hold the disaff.
I should not be afraid or ashamed to use any talents God has given me to provide and care for my family or those in my circle of influence. She does not just lay her hands on the spindle (or do the work God asks of her) but she reaches up further and grasps the distaff (God) the source of her strength. Her work is then blessed of God.
(Pro 31:20) She stretcheth out her hand to the poor; yea, she reacheth forth her hands to the needy.
I ought to seek wisdom and kindness for all mankind -- making no “favorites” and giving both financially and of my heart to those in need. A stretching forth here may refer to a feeling of sympathy or a giving of monetary aid. A REACHING would mean that I am actually taking their burden upon me as a friend and reaching out from my heart while my hand still clings to that distaff. Lord, help me to REACH others for you!
(Pro 31:21) She is not afraid of the snow for her household: for all her household are clothed with scarlet.
I do not need to fear adverse weather conditions because I have planned for this in our budget. I also should be taking the time and arranging the means for appropriate clothing. Maybe it something as simple as passing down coats and boots to younger siblings and purchasing new ones for the child who has outgrown theirs. I think we could even go a step farther here and say this verse also pertains to zipping coats and buttoning hoods. Don’t forget how important the small things are. I think you understand that this is not just a 'winter chore' there are plenty of 'scarlet clothing' duties the while year 'round.
(Pro 31:22) She maketh herself coverings of tapestry; her clothing is silk and purple.
I was SO happy to see here that the coverings are things like curtains, quilts, table runners and slipcovers! Yay! I get to decorate – in fact, it’s my duty! Hobby Lobby, here I come! I’m smiling, but it really is true – my home should be a haven for my husband and children and a place of welcoming beauty to all who enter. Notice that her clothing also is elegant and stylish. There is no glory in being a sloppy Christian. My clothing is modest and yet I am not afraid of style. And ladies...you don't have to show us 'the goods' in order to be stylish either! It is up to me to “earn” my clothes with wise spending choices in all areas.
(Pro 31:23) Her husband is known in the gates, when he sitteth among the elders of the land.
My husband is well respected at his workplace (even after 12 years), in the church and perhaps most important of all, in our home. It is my responsibility to set the example for this respect especially in the church and home, but remember….we women are powerful and can even affect our husband’s job. If we are always nagging for more money or over that fact that he works long hours, he will not be content and in turn will not be respected. This same scenario applies to those of us who are pastor’s wives.
(Pro 31:24) She maketh fine linen, and selleth it; and delivereth girdles unto the merchant.
If I can profit through one of the talents or calling God has given, there is nothing wrong with that. Personally (though I never considered teaching my calling), I have found that homeschooling saves us a TON of money. It also provides a superb opportunity for raising little pink Proverbs 31 women. :)
(Pro 31:25) Strength and honour are her clothing; and she shall rejoice in time to come.
This woman of Proverbs is strong even when she is weak because of the source of her strength. God will honour her devotion to Him and to her family. One interpretation of the word rejoice is to laugh. The Proverbs 31 woman faces the future with such strength and faith in God that she is not afraid of the future. “She shall rejoice in time to come” (Or laugh in the face of the future) for her hope is in God! As a mom, with children who are and will live in the future, I LOVE this verse! I think in the long run this verse also means that she will rejoice through eternity. I know there are some women who are married to unsaved men and this verse would be especially dear to a Proverbs 31 woman who might find herself in that situation.
(Pro 31:26) She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness.
Wow – sometimes I speak faster than I think. My words should be kind and yet spoken with wisdom (I think this means to think first.) In short – God didn’t intend for us women to be all meek and mousy, but neither did He intend that we be all big and bossy. Again, I’m smiling. When I ‘lay down the law’ to my children it should also be with kindness.
(Pro 31:27) She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness.
I am not an idle person. I am ALWAYS 'doing' but I must watch to see that my doing is not selfish.
(Pro 31:28) Her children arise up, and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praiseth her.
This they do. I only hope to earn it.
(Pro 31:29) Many daughters have done virtuously, but thou excellest them all.
I believe I should live so that this is to be the opinion of my husband and children.. They should not have to look at other wives/mothers and wish... “If only she were my wife/mother.” My husband should be able to feel blessed in choosing me out of all the ‘daughters in the land’
(Pro 31:30) Favour is deceitful, and beauty is vain: but a woman that feareth the LORD, she shall be praised.
In the end. What it all boils down to. Regardless of what anyone thinks or says. I must possess the fear of the Lord. This is not a 'scary' fear, but rather this fear keeps my feet on a path that will please God and make me truly joyful as well. Though we all enjoy kind words, the only praise I should desire and ‘live for’ is that of God and my husband.
(Pro 31:31) Give her of the fruit of her hands; and let her own works praise her in the gates.
I believe what this verse is saying is simply that everything that what a woman is flows from her relationship with God. Want to be happy? Want to be a better woman? In absolutely ANY area of your life? Then work on having a better relationship with God.


6 comments:
Hi Karen,
That is one of the best studies and explanations that I have seen done on that chapter. You are a woman of "wisdom", that is for certain. I also appreciate what you say here, "Notice that her clothing also is elegant and stylish. There is no glory in being a sloppy Christian. My clothing is modest and yet I am not afraid of style." We can be modest and stylish at the same time and I think it is so important. I can't understand women who profess to be Christians and yet dress so immodestly, I don't get it.
Thank you for that beautiful word. I really appreciate it.
Hugs, Cindy
Thank you Cindy! I have a ways to go, but this is my goal.
Very good, good and long : )
I know. Too long. But, I couldn't decide which parts to leave out. :)
I so enjoyed reading this post. I love how you made it personal to us--not just something a Biblical king said years ago. Being a wife and mother is a privilege but also a responsibilty. Like you, I am striving to be the woman God planned for me to be.
Excellent, I plan to read and reread this post. I want to be a Proverbs 31 woman. Thanks for taking the time to put this into understandable language.
Post a Comment