Tuesday, December 17, 2019

Choosing JOY





I was sitting at my desk working when little almost-seven-year-old arms snuck around my waist and a young man’s voice said, “Are you happy mommy?”
I hesitated a moment and sighed inwardly. It had been a long day. The children hadn’t gotten along harmoniously the whole time, the laundry seemed unending, there were bills in the mail, I was fighting a headache and a schedule that threatened to overwhelm me. The church Christmas program was coming and the children had been sick. It was the Christmas season, the first without my mother, and honestly, I wasn’t feeling too “happy.”
But then I thought of all my blessings. A roof above, a warm bed, a faithful companion, loving family and friends, children who desired to serve God and a God who loved me enough to send his son.
To the small boy waiting for my reply, I said as I hugged him close, “Oh, yes!! I am very happy! "Good mommy," he said. “Because mommy, if you’re happy, I’m happy.”
His simple words smote me, and I was so happy I had chosen to answer positively. May the Lord always help me to remember that they are watching. The littles, and sometimes even the bigger ones, take their queues from us. They never stop watching. Simply speaking, if we are happy, they are happy. Teach them to choose joy.

1 comments:

Paula Alexandra Santos

Unfortunately we don't have children, but I can appreciate those lovely moments between mothers and their children. Sometimes I hear people telling their kids to shut up so they don't bother them and I think that's so sad...
God bless you and your family!
:)

Post a Comment

...and underneath are the everlasting arms...Duet. 33:27