Tuesday, November 14, 2017

No Treat

Halloween Day was no treat for any of us. It's not all that uncommon for mom to have low blood pressure or other complications on dialysis days and she's been in and out of the ER several times in the last few years just getting things checked. This was one of those days, only this time to make a long story short, she ended up having a stroke. It was at first thought to be without damage and easily treated with blood thinners. I let the kids dress up and go to Kayla's work to cheer up the residents and then we headed in to see Grandma at the hospital.

 Kammy was a refrigerator.

 
Kalli and Kaderick were Knight and Horse
 
 
Kaite was a ladybug.

 
 
It didn't take terribly long to see that the stroke had caused a good bit more damage that we originally thought. Turns out it had affected three areas, the posterior cerebral artery had a blockage, the right poriatal and right temporal lobe, and the right internal capsule of the posterior limb. These areas can affect some movement, but more personality and certain thinking skills and short term memory. Her vision was also greatly impacted. We soon started to notice that she wasn't seeing much of anything from her left eye. They had a difficult time regulating blood pressure and her blood sugar suddenly went very high. This of course added to the confusion and then there was dialysis which had to be done every few days and seemed to set her back each time. All of this said, it could have been so much worse and we choose to be thankful.
 
 
The verse at the front entrance of the hospital spoke to me and carried me through many weary hours.

 
Day and night we hardly left her side. We took little breaks here and there but no one was sleeping well even when they did get a chance.

 
One evening, I had to run out to my parents place in Greenleaf and this is the sunset God painted for me. If you know me, you know that sunsets are my favorite and I think God knew that I needed an especially spectacular one this night.

 
The view from the hospital room wasn't bad either. Lots and lots of huge windows looking out over rolling farm lands with snow covered mountains beyond is a scene that speaks peace to hurting hearts.

 
My husband and children were amazing! Kalli kept the house and school running for the most part. My husband was my rock and not only is he a loving in-law, he's a very kind and faithful pastor. I hated seeing my dad hurt and grow weary, but I can honestly say that he's the strongest most simple and humble saint I know.
One night late, after days of back and forth and up and down, a broken down vehicle and a car accident, the kids and I were about worn to a frazzle. I wanted to give in to the despair but instead I gathered the children and we played the thankful game. By the end, the tears were of thankfulness and not of despair. That night, Kaite put this sentence on our refrigerator.

 
Even in Mom's confusion, she kept a sense of humor. In this photo here, she had trapped dad with her walker and said, "I know this guy....he's the one who chased me until I caught him."
 
By weekend, my brother and sister in law came and spelled us during the night shift for three nights. What a blessing that was! Finally, one day short of a week, we moved mom into the rehab facility where Kayla works. There was some comfort in that, but even still, walking out at night and leaving her there alone broke my heart over and over. All was well though, and she was doing good with rehab for a few days and then she began having chest pains so the ambulance was called and back to the hospital we went. She ended up being in the cardiac ICU overnight, but suffered no heart damage and is now back at rehab and scheduled to go home tomorrow afternoon. I think we're all a little excited and apprehensive. She's not the same as before and there is a long way to go towards healing. Sometimes these damages are permanent and sometimes healing can take up to six months. There are a lot of unknowns at this point, but we are doing all anyone can ever do in these circumstances and taking one day at a time.
Help me pray that I can hold up under all the added weight. I'm happy to serve, given the added strength. I'm still under the care of a couple of specialists who are watching my blood closely. I don't have any real answers other than they suspect some type of autoimmune disease and are working to bring up lymphocytes, vitamin D and a few other levels. I must not be doing too bad since all of Kayla's co-workers keep accusing me of being Kayla's sister. I may like that better than she does, but when they find out I'm her mom they are sure to tell me that she's the sweetest most hardworking girl at Canyon West. (the nursing and rehab facility).
 
 
Kaderick is doing a good job of keeping us all smiling, I'll leave you with one of his latest,


Kaderick got his favorite supper last night. Pepperoni pizza with no sauce.
He said, "I'm going to be the president someday!"
"Really?? How do you know that?" We asked.
"Because I eat my pizza backwards," he said.
We thought maybe he'd heard somewhere that one of our presidents did that so we asked him which of our presidents ate his pizza that way and he said, ...
"I do!"
So there you have it, Kaderick Brice Bork will one day go down in history as the president who ate his pizza backwards.
(This is done because the corners taste better than the crust, and he likes to save the best for last.)


If you are one who has sent food, flowers, a card, visited, called or prayed, let me thank you. We have seriously ridden on those prayers--all of the different things that have happened in the last two weeks would be too much without Jesus! He has truly been faithful!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

...and underneath are the everlasting arms...Duet. 33:27