Actually, I should back up a step or two.
First of all, hubby took all the cabinet doors off and I gave the attached upper and lower cabinets and the drawer fronts three coats of General Finishes milk paint followed by three coats of General Finishes glaze. I painted until I was cross-eyed and my kids were just plain cross. While I was busy with that, hubby removed hardware and began to add on the little flat wood strips around each door.
Enter California.
I can't say how much it irked me to leave the kitchen half done. But.....I'm learning. Patience is slow in coming for some. I am one of the some. Haha.
When we got home, hubby finished up the wood trim and did some minor sanding (we only lightly sanded everything as the paint is specially designed to cover without sanding) and I got busy with the paintbrush again. Including the trip, this project took us almost a month, but it really could feasibly be done in 2-3 days if you had that much free time.
Total cost on this cabinet job is up there around $375. The paint was $65/gallon and I used almost a whole gallon. General Finishes covers like a dream with little to no brush strokes and the glaze is designed to give it a very washable and durable smooth finish. The glaze was $15/pint and we used a full pint. The hardware cost us $120. This was a bit of a shock to me, but Amazon price beat Home Depot and Lowes by 60% on the styles we had chosen. The wood strips we used to beef up the cabinets, cost us right around $150. I also invested in some vintage toweling (Amazon again) for curtains. That was $6 delivered. All in all, I think it's money well spent.
Here are some before photos:
Blek!
As you will notice, we removed the very topmost cabinet doors and finished them out for decor, leaving the doors off permanently. We also purchased a "new" stove and microwave. They are both used, but in new condition. The microwave currently retails for $299. Our cost was $75. The stove sells for $649 and we paid $300. We are planning to eventually replace all the appliances with stainless ones. All in good time and low prices. We will also be putting in new countertops and tile backsplash.
The cabinets are awesome! Complete with two lazy susans, and pull out cabinets.
I'm not in love with florescent lighting, so to add some charm to the ugly one here, I hung an old red screen decorated with a bit of greenery. The screen was free. Score from my parents shop.
For a bit of variety and interest, we added punched tin insets to the cabinets above the stove and micro.
I love the dark floor accented with the bright white cabinets. Oh, and I still love that little braided rug. I bought it for $25 over fourteen years ago. It still looks brand new.
The light above the window was a purchase we made just after moving in. I love it!
Here you can see a bit of that screen covering the florescent light.
I love jars.
This little refinished cart (you might remember it) sits on the opposite side of the kitchen against the back of the large fireplace. I love having this brick accent in my kitchen!
The last kitchen photo is looking down the hallway toward the back (garage door) where the pantry and new school area is, but that's all a post for another day.
I do have one last thing to show you though.
The bench that had been sitting in our entryway was borrowed from our bedroom and we needed one here permanently--not a borrowed one. So, the wheels started turning. I snagged an old door from my parents shop. (They have all kinds of treasures.) This door was in the house as a child growing up, so I guess you could say that it has sentimental attachment. I knew I wanted to use the door as part of the bench back. Now....where to get a bench without having the already overworked hubby build one? And then I knew just the thing! Hubby had removed these cabinets in the far end of our living room. This is where the master bedroom door will be. Anyway, we are using one of the tall sets as a panty and the other one as storage in the garage.













2 comments:
Looks great:) I love the difference a little paint and a ton of work can do!
Cindy
Hello! I found you via the Painted Parsonage. I absolutely love what you have done with your new house, it is beautiful! We have lived in our home for 18 months and I'm still deciding what to do with it. :) It's so fun to find someone "nearby" in blogland (we are in UT but my husband lived in Caldwell, ID when we met) and a fellow homeschooler to boot! (PS we are LDS and I chuckled at what your daughter said about being "NDS" a few posts back! Always being taught that now is the latter days, I never thought of it that way! It is a bit silly and confusing! :) )
Post a Comment