This Mother's Day, my thanks goes first to my grandmothers. My dad's mom was a mother first before she was anything else--meaning it seemed to be her very life, her identity if you will. She had five kids and moved to Idaho from Missouri with them all and her husband in a 37 Chevy. My dad (age four at the time) tells of riding on the front fender of the car because he suffered from motion sickness. The home they moved into had previously been used as a grainery, but she made it her castle. Grandma always made the best of what she had and what she had was always enough. From her, I learned that you don't need a lot of material goods to be happy, healthy or clean. You just need a heartful of love and a good broom.
My mother's mom of course came from the same era. She lost her mother as a young teen and was left to care for the twin babies and several other youngsters still at home. She learned to take one mission barrel coat and make it into two adorable ones for the twins. She learned to run a home before her time and survived the depression. Even though she was small in stature, she sewed and planted, drove a team and worked like a man. She loved to wash dishes and work in the kitchen. People far and wide raved of her cooking.
These ladies passed down their love of motherhood and homemaking to me, but more importantly, they birthed and raised my parents.
Mother's Day thanks goes to my dad for making such a good choice when he married my mom. He had a sweet little boy who had tragically lost his momma and dad chose a lady who always made it plain to me that Brian (my brother) was every bit as much hers and as much loved as I was. I needed to know this in order to know that I was loved...for only one who loves all, can love well. My mom was 35 when she married, and she suffered from miscarriage and preeclampsia, which took my older brother Dale just hours after he was born and nearly claimed my mom as well. The doctors told her that she'd probably never get pregnant again and that if she did she wouldn't be able to carry it. And then there was me. Mom worked very hard to dispel the myth that if she ever had a baby that baby would be spoiled rotten. Sometimes I thought she worked a little too hard. Smile. She believed in me and was always proud of my accomplishments. She taught me to believe that I could do anything I put my mind to. My momma taught me to take good care of a man who works hard. To make him nourishing meals and keep him in clean and ironed clothes. She taught me to appreciate his place and the sacrifices he made. Mother's Day thanks to my mom who made my childhood carefree and innocent. Who taught me not to settle for anything less than a "perfect for me" man. This was taught partly by her own example of waiting for the best, and partly by her keen dislike for certain boys who crossed the dating radar. Lucky for me--and for her--she approves of the one I chose. Be it good or bad (smile) you made me who I am today. I love you.
And....speaking of the man I chose, Mother's Day thanks goes to my dear mother in law for giving me the best gift short of life itself and life eternal. I do love that boy of hers--she must have done something right!
Mother's Day thanks to my brother who lovingly shared his new mommy with me and to my sister in law (brother's wife) who let a pesky teenager tote her babies around. She had far more patience with me than I deserved I am sure. And to all my other sisters and mom friends, thanks for sharing the laughs, tips and trials on this awesome road of mommy-hood.
To all the teachers, pastor's wives, aunts and mother figures who came and went across the years, thank you for the small (and large) things you did that added to my life. Your influence lingers still today.
Happy Mother's Day to my wonderful husband and love of my life, without whom I would not have experienced motherhood at all. Thanks for all you do to lighten my load. You've done the best thing that a dad can do for his children--shown them that you love their mother!
To my children, thank you for the privilege, the joy and responsibility, the sleepless nights and the snuggles. Thank you for your ready forgiveness when I fail and for your unconditional love.
To those who love another as your own, what an inspiration you are! To my single-mom friends, you are amazing for the job you do alone! To those who are still waiting on motherhood or will never know the joy and stickiness, you are not forgotten. You are a special woman (mother figure) to so many and I don't take lightly the contribution you make.
A special Heavenly Happy Mother's Day to my friends who have had to give back too soon. I feel your hurt, your heart and your hope of Heaven.
To my Saviour, thank you for all of the above, and for your daily strength. When it's all said and done, you are my best example and have taught me all the good that I know. You compared yourself to a mother hen and perhaps that is what I do best (smile). Your promises uphold me, when it seems that the weight of responsibility would overwhelm. I could not do it alone, this wonderful job that I love.
My mom, brother and I.
My husband, mom and brother.
My mom, sis in law and myself.
My husbands text for Sunday morning service was from Proverbs 31:25 Strength and honor are her clothing, and she shall rejoice in time to come.
I painted and decopauged wooden hangers and painted on them the verse "Strength and honor are her clothing..." Each lady received a hanger and homemade scarf.
Mother's Day dessert.

4 comments:
Beautiful post!! Happy Mother's Day!
Beautiful pictures and post. What a lovely blog. I'm a new pastors wife and I'm trying to learn juggling between homeschool and ministry. Do you have a routine or tips that help you?
Thanks for your sweet Mother's day comment and comment on Elijah's birthday post.
What a story you have...and what a sweet post. I enjoyed reading this!!
Loved your Mother's day gifts you made for your church ladies. Your dessert looked delish! =)
Have a HAPPY DAY/Weekend in Jesus! =)
~Heather~
How beautiful are your words that honor your mother and others! I loved the peak into your grandma's lives. I always love seeing your pictures. The hangers are beautiful -- surely a touching gift. I'm sure they will be treasured. You are amazing in your mothering.
Post a Comment