Monday, June 17, 2013

Idaho City

 
In the mid-1800's, while North was fighting South, West was discovering gold. When we think of the gold rush days, we think of California or maybe the Alaskan Klondike, but more than 350 million dollars worth of gold was taken from Idaho City (then called Bannock City) and that's only what was accounted for. Chances are it was much more even than that. Idaho City was home to over 25,000 people back in the day, although now it only boasts a population of 450. What was then a 9 hour stage ride from Boise Valley (where we live) is now about an hours drive. It was an authentic wild and wooley west town--of all the thousands who rest in its cemetery, only a very small percentage died of natural causes. Most were violence (alot of gun fights) and mining accidents and many were babies who died at birth or shortly afterwards. A walk in the cemetery will both sadden and inspire you. What strong people our pioneers had to be. Both in body and spirit.
 
Last week, we rented a cabin (or yurt) just outside of Idaho City and spent a couple of days relaxing as a family, enjoying the great outdoors and exploring the old town.
 
 
Camping is so much fun for the little people. So much work for the big ones....but so worth it to see the little one's joy! Of course watching them is one of my greatest joys!
 
 
I especially loved the church on the hill. Idaho's first christian (Catholic) church. I wonder what it was like to minister to a town of 25,000 greedy gold-seeking souls. A town which had 41 saloons.
 
 
Another of my favorite spots is this antique store. As much as some of these old things are worth now days, this may be the most valuable place around.
 
 
We enjoyed icecream at The Sarsaparilla Icecream Parlor. I thought this picture was fun, with 3 of us reflected in the window. What do you know??? A family portrait!
 
 
And here is another family picture. This one, more intentional. This is back at the campsite near the cabin we rented.
 
 
Kaite and I enjoying a moment together. She still likes mommy's lap, but is doing so well sharing with her brother! She told me, "I'm not jealous, he's my brother!!!"
 
 
Some of you know that I am a bit of a clean freak--then you know I go camping and you wonder how those two things work out. I guess I just love God's great outdoors so much, that I consider it worth a bit of dirt a few times a year. Okay.....I admit it.....I swept out the cabin, washed the windows and all the utinsels before we ate off of them. Anyway, I can handle a little of God's dirt much better than I can deal with Walmart's dirt. What I don't do well with is bugs. I know you have to expect a certain amount of them camping out, but when my childs bed is literally crawling with HUGE ants (the kind that bite) and too many spiders to count, that's NOT acceptable!
So.....the cabin, which was supposed to sleep 6 adults, ended up sleeping one daddy long-legs and a great multitude of other eight-legged creatures......and we found out that our Yukon is the one that sleeps 6. One momma and 5 kids! Kammy said, "We have such a wonderful daddy--here he is risking his life with the spiders to save us!" Smile.
 
 
Little Boy Blue did pretty well with his first campout. He was on antibiotics for an ear infection and had a "little" tummy ache from that, but he certainly had his happy moments as well!
 
 
I love that the museum there is so hands-on. It really makes the learning experience much more fun for the little ones.
 
 
Below is the early Idaho Territorial Pen. Only a portion of the building remains, but you can walk right through some of the cells where they put the "bad guys." In fact, Idaho's last hanging happened right here in Idaho City. We saw the very noose and hood the poor man wore. His crime was shooting his mining partner in the back.
 
 
I'm posting this picture that Kammy took so you can see how cool the cabin is. It is built around a tree trunk in an octagonal shape. The walls are a really unique assortment of log and glass bottles which really let a lot of light in and twinkle almost like Christmas lights in the sunshine.
 

 
Kammy was so happy that we actually got to go. She had been sick with 102.5 temp and was vomiting the day before, so we told her we probably would not be able to go. We prayed about it and she was much better the next day. We hadn't been there long, when she came to me and asked if we could thank Jesus for helping her to get better. Sweet girl! I am thankful that they remember to be thankful.  =)
 
 
They have a nice firepit at the cabin (pretty girls not included), just next to the creek and a great little swimming hole. We roasted hot dogs and made s'mores.

 
Thanks for camping out with me long enough for this rather lengthy post. If you ever vacation in Idaho, we'll show you around! =)
 

1 comments:

The Dickinsons

What a cute fun historic post. Loved reading it and seeing your fun pics. So glad y'all got to make this happen.

Blessings,
~Heather~

Post a Comment

...and underneath are the everlasting arms...Duet. 33:27