Monday, April 9, 2012

Easter Sunday

Don't you just love the excitement of Easter? Next to Christmas, it's my favorite holiday--better in some ways, actually!
Here are the easter baskets we gave the girls this year. I was fortunate to find these awesome storage boxes on clearance at TJ Maxx for $3.00! We try to make Easter baskets a little more practical. One year I made the girls new pillow cases and used them as "easter bags." Another year, they had asked for bike baskets, and we used those. Also, we aren't real big on candy, so we usually just put in a few pieces of that and more things like new crayons, and bubbles--things that are fun but not so bad for them. =)
We made resurrection cinnamon rolls which turned out really fun. The girls found it pretty cool that the "tomb" was empty after it baked.
Our easter dessert was Pink Lemonade Cake from pinterest. Well, that and the peanut butter eggs and nests we made earlier in the week. We also had smoked ham, mashed potatoes and gravy, yams (my mother made), pineapple casserole (mom), lettuce salad (mom), deviled eggs, jello eggs, and bunny shaped hot rolls. Our ham--given to us by Loomis, was fully cooked so I didn't have a source of gravy. On a whim, I combined chicken broth and a bit of pineapple juice thickened with flour and seasoned with tonys for color and salt flavor. It worked! Everyone commented on how good the gravy was! Yay!
Me and the honey of the house.
Easter is one of two times of year that everyone gets new clothing. I found Rick's shirt at Kohl's for $4.00, the blazer (which he needed) at Macey's clearance for (I think) around $45. He already had the pants, and the tie.....I paid full price for. LOL. My dress came from Target. It as too long (what else is new) and the neck was way too low, so you can figure out how I fixed that problem. I had a terrible time finding a red bolero though....my Mom finally picked this one up for me at Dress Barn. Aren't moms wonderful!?!?
Speaking of mom....my dad, mom, and the grand girls. Usually I try to mix up their outfits a little so that when passing down for kid to kid, we don't get sick of the same thing. Nautical clothes are pretty timeless tho---everyone needs one, right? You might know that Kammy does not like to dress up in fancy clothes. She is SUCH. A. TOMBOY. I convinced her though, and even got her to wear a hat. The secret was that I sewed tiny little horseshoes on it. =) Oh, and the hats??? Dollar section at Target...add a little ribbon and it's all good!
We had company for Easter dinner and an egg hunt for the kids while dinner was getting finished up.
I used my roll recipe, but shaped them into "bunnies backsides." (Pinterest.)
Here is Kaite chasing some of the bubbles out of her Easter basket.
I bought new red shoes for Easter, and Kaite wanted some too. As you can see, red shoes come with attitude! =)
I have more pics--and a re-cap of the children's Easter program, but that's another day! Hope you all had a wonderful, blessed Easter worshipping our Risen Lord!

Photobucket


4 comments:

Melissa

Loved all the pics. Piper and I also wore navy, white and red, I believe you and I wore the same red sweater. Dress Barn is great but what a name. :) Glad you had a wonderful Easter.

Laura Engle

Happy Easter to you all too:) Yes, we did have a very wonderful Easter.
I enjoyed looking at the pictures of your fam. I always like seeing all your cool ideas. Thanks for sharing:)

Cindy

We had a wonderful day! I love your outfit and the girls, too, they all look so pretty. Your family photos are wonderful! And your dinner sounded like the ones we used to have with our Oklahoma relatives when we could be with them over EAster.
Hugs, Cindy

Pamela

I love all the ideas for Easter baskets. Your boxes are beautiful. For several years I've used a purse for Emily's basket. This year she had a car charger for her phone, lip gloss and other non-candy things. The last picture is adorable!

Post a Comment

...and underneath are the everlasting arms...Duet. 33:27