The Bench.
The bench sits on my parent's little front porch--it has for many years. I'm guessing at least 20-25 years....maybe longer.

As is apt to happen, the bench has gotten a little worse for wear over the years. I've been saying that I was going to tear it all apart and paint it for a few years now, but I finally made good on the promise. I enlisted the help of my teenage daughter and we scrubbed, sanded, primed and painted the old bench. It's looking so pretty now!

The hubby is away on business, so the kids and I are taking spring break and "camping out" at Grandpa and Grandma's house. The kids are having a blast, btw. I'm threatening to tear into the bathroom cabinets and re-paint them, but I figured I better work my way up the ladder, gain some trust, rung by rung. =)

While I had the paint out, I treated the old milkcan to a fresh coat and a new sunflower. Sort of the same story here, I was probably 14-ish the first time I painted the milkcan and it needed some attention too. I didn't do the fanciest job on the flower, but you should know that I just used the colors of paint I had on hand and some old brushes I found...they really weren't even the right size for the job.

My mom's basement is full of treasures....I found this 'G' down there today. I dropped it and broke it, so after I glued it back together, I decided to hit it with the spray can too.

Sometimes, all the doing mom and dad do for you, you just have to go back and do a little for them. Of course, they get the added blessing of watching the munchkins while you "do" but hey....
Anyway, back to the old bench for a minute. Going on 17 years ago, the man in the photo below made me very happy by asking me to marry him, while we were sitting on that very bench! No red carpet, but it worked pretty well I'd say and being married to him has brought lots of red carpet along the way!
I guess you could say I had a vested interest in fixing up the old bench. =)
...and underneath are the everlasting arms...Duet. 33:27
5 comments:
What an adorable bench, adorable love story and couple, and so sweet of you to paint the bench and other things all up for your sweet parents! =)
Thank you, Karen, for your laundry tips on my blog. When I read your comment it reminded me of a tip I had intended to include, but in the rush getting ready to watch my beloved IHC I forgot. =) (I just went back to my blog and included this tip.)
I had to hand wash LOTS of our clothes while we lived in Argentina, for I had neither washer nor dryer there. During those months I learned that a good laundry brush and a good bar of stain-removing soap were my "Best Laundry Friends!" =)
My sister makes her own laundry detergent and likes it too. I would like to try to make it sometime when I'm in the USA and can find all the stuff it calls for. I think Laura's laundry soap calls for that "fels naftha" bar that you mentioned.
That's a great idea about praying for the person whose clothes you are folding! =)
Blessings,
~Heather~
Thanks for sharing!!! The bench and other things look real nice!
Esther
Cute bench! And so neat that it holds special memories :)
No wonder you love that pretty old bench so much!;)
I'm sure your mom and dad are very grateful to have the chance to spend time with your sweet girls and to see things freshened up a bit. You are very artistic, the sunflower looks great, especially considering what you had to work with!
Hugs, Cindy
My daughter likes to do things for me, too. I have a standing invitation to watch the kids! Such a special bench you've improved. Wouldn't want anything to happen to it!
Post a Comment