Sunday, July 24, 2011

Going to Hollywood.....

Okay....relax people. We are not going to Hollywood. Well, not the one you are thinking of anyway. We made time last week for a mini-vaca to Hollywood Point campground. It's like our top favorite thing to do together.
I know I just moved twice in the past 9 months, so I really shouldn't say this, but I love setting up a home and camping is just another place where I'm in my element. Love setting up camp.
Home Sweet Camp.This sweet little seat has probably accompanied me on 99.9% of the literally 100's of campouts I have been on in my 30-some years of life. It doesn't fit me so well anymore, but my kids sure use it!We love cooking fun things while camping. The eating is better there then anywhere. Dutch oven stuff, campfire foil dinners, roasted hot dogs, and even pineapple upside-down cooked right over the fire. This time, we made pan pizza's and they were yummy as well.I liked the colors in this piccy of my two little ones....or maybe I liked it that Kammy wasn't flinging Kaite aside and saying, "Don't touch me Kaite!"Of course, Kaite thought she was big enough to try out her own pole this trip. Seriously...all daddy got done was casting, baiting and untangling...is it any wonder we caught nothing? :) Actually, no one was catching anything. We did see an older gentleman with a couple on his stringer when we first arrived. Kaite said, "Diffen' papa catch 2 fishies!"For as late in the summer as it was, there was still an abundance of lovely wildflowers.Kaite got tired of waiting for her weinie to roast, so she ate 2 cold ones in the meantime.I love the sunset, even at home I do....but camping, there is just something magical about it.The only thing that even comes close, is sunrise when all is still and peaceful and there is barely a ripple on the water.Rick has learned to make some really great camp coffee....yum!Giggles and Grins with mommySpecial kisses for daddyHere we had hiked almost to the top of the falls. Please excuse the pajama-style sweats. We normally require our girls to dress as such, but in this case, we opted in favor of modesty (yes, I did say modesty...) warmth and safety.Kaite taking a rare nap. I guess the outdoor play wore her out!Kammy had to wear sunglasses around the campfire so that the flames would not hurt her eyes. LOL!Kammy got some kind of wasp or bee sting on her back and after we had put a cold can of pop on it and she was feeling better, she said, "My bee sting just feels like a plain back now!" A while later, she was eating a smore and a beautiful butterfly landed on her lap!
Since this post includes several quipes from the tiny ones, I am adding a few more and linking up with Tiny Talk--something I have not found time to do enough lately.
Kammy, when her daddy swung her up on the counter, "Daddy, do you want me to show Jesus my underwear?!?!?!"
I gave Kammy a popsicle the other day and before I could even begin to admonish her about being careful, she said, "I promise not to make a mess!" The smile on my face only got larger when she continued, "But, I don't promise not to break my promise!"
Kammy and Kaite have both gotten to love eating boiled eggs, but they always ask someone to "Please take the chicken (yoke) out first!"
Kammy to Kaite, "I am NOT awesome, so please stop following me!"
Kammy gazing at a wheat field, "That shredded wheat is sure pretty!"

7 comments:

~Heather Rae~

I am so glad that your strife to modesty.. is truly a testament that dress and long skirts are not always modest! I love your camping stories and you truly make a wonderful camp home! Makes me never wanna leave when camping with you and yours! <3

Brittany

Pretty Pictures! And I just love the things your girls say =)

Anonymous

As to where my sweats were--I didn't bring any along or they might have been on me. I scratched my poor bare leggie on a branch and that didn't feel so well. As far is modesty, I do remember to keep my dress where it belongs a little better where young ones tend to get busy playing and forget. ~Karen

Mary@notbefore7

So cute - the underwear comment is hilarious! You should post some recipes for camping - what creative ideas!

Pamela

What a sweet family! I love seeing your love for your husband and daughters. It shines through every post you write.

Wendy

Hi, I hopped over from Cindy's (Oakview Cottage) and I'm so glad I did. Your post actually had me smiling. Your kids say the SWEETEST things!! And your photos make me miss camping so much!!! God bless you!
PS. I'm a skirt wearing girl too. Love it. :)

Cindy

Hi Karen,
You have been a busy mom for the past several months, what with moving twice and being in California for so long. Now when I saw "Hollywood" in the title I thought "Oh no, she just got back from California".
Camping is different though, you're right. I would love to go camping, but my hubby and I just are not tenters and we don't have a trailer anymore.
Your girls do say the funniest things, I always get a hoot out of them, I love it when you do this type of post.
I'm glad you're having a good summer. I hope you are feeling well.
Love and hugs, Cindy

Post a Comment

...and underneath are the everlasting arms...Duet. 33:27