Friday, March 4, 2011

Where did you get your burden and where are you taking it?

My family has been feeling a lot of "weight" recently. Probably some of the same burdens many families feel.
Lonliness--losing friends, or those you thought were friends is not fun.
Confusion over the actions and unkind words of others.
Business--sometimes there is just too much to do in one 24 hour period.
Decisions-- ever have to make one before you are ready? Not fun, either.
Financial--Just how are you going to pay for it all?
Family--if they only knew how much you loved them maybe they would treat you differently?!?!
None of the above are pleasant, but perhaps the worst burden is fear for the soul of a loved one. Sometimes "real burdens" can get really, really big and cause depression and despair.
"I hear people say all the time with good intentions. ‘God will never place a burden on you so heavy that you cannot possibly carry it.’
Really?
My experience is that God will place a burden on you so heavy that you cannot possibly carry it alone. He will break your back and your will. He will buckle your legs until you fall flat beneath the crushing weight of your load. All the while He will walk beside you waiting for you to come to the point where you must depend on Him.
I was talking to my husband the other day (while grocery shopping of all things) about all this and he reminded me that we need to examine where are burdens are coming from. We don't accept 'gifts' from satan! So how exactly do you know if this 'weight' you are feeling is a God-given burden, or an enemy sent despair? Here is what my wise, loving hubby said, and I paraphrase, because I cannot remember his exact words.

"A burden from God will be wrapped in love and delivered with the faith to believe for an answer. A spirit of discouragement from the enemy will be wrapped in fear and delivered with encouragement to despair of anything ever changing."
Yes, there is such a thing as a God-given burden for souls. There is such a thing as praying through on a promise. There is such a thing as fighting it out in the secret place. There is such a thing as praying someone under God's convicting power. But....how is it done? When you hear stories of a mother/father/husband/wife praying through for their loved one, do you automatically think of that saint as being a stressed-out, depressed person? No. That would not accomplish anything but trouble for either party. Why even bother the prayer if we don't think God has the power to change the heart and desire of man? The effectual, fervant prayer of a righteous man availeth much, but it's effectual only if it's shared--with God. His yoke truly is easy and his burden is light. It's still work, but there is someone pulling with you, making it easy, encouraging you every step of the way. Giving you promises to claim and faith to claim them.

"My strength is made perfect in your weakness," He says, as we strain under our burden.

Whatever the burden, it might indeed get worse, but know this-God is faithful. And while we change and make mistakes, He does not. When we get weaker, He is ever stronger.

Photobucket

Sources: Me, Greg Lucas, my husband, God.

5 comments:

shannon i olson

wonderfully said.

Avis

My heart goes out to you .....

David Cary

You remind me so much of my dear Mother, Elaine Cary, in her younger looks, and in her way of saying things. I will try to remember to find a couple of pictures that make you remind me of her. She loved humor, Erma Bombeck, etc, and loved to write letters.
I would like to think that if she had lived into the present age of computers, facebook, etc, she would have a large, smiling, hospitable presence.

But anyway, this is Very good, and such a good, honest question...

There are so many cliche's that sound so good, but just don't hold water under the close scrutiny of a thinking heart. I ask a lot of questions in SS, :) , and sometimes, while I appreciate the ones who answer, the answer comes from "the book", not the heart.

I asked the question in SS last Sunday, "How does one feel when he has 'prayed through' on something?" I get so tired of bottled answers, some trite answers in a list of "FAQ's". What is it that makes one feel he has prayed through? Must we continue to pray for that situation once we come to this feeling?

I so like your description of the burden God sometimes places on us...unbearable...knee jellying...breath stopping...heart palpitating worry, fear and anxiety.

If it were not so, we would never be driven to prayer, to share it with God Himself who made us care in the first place.

It is honest openness like this that people need and want, that make people take note of what one says. It is like, "Here is a person with the same doubts, fears, worries, pressures and stresses as I have, I think I will listen to them."

Cindy

You are a very good writer, Karen. I'm so grateful that God does walk beside us and He does help carry the load, I am so grateful for that.
Have a good day,
Hugs, Cindy

Rhonda

thank you for this encouraging post Your husband is very wise and must be a wonderful pastor.

Post a Comment

...and underneath are the everlasting arms...Duet. 33:27