Thursday, March 17, 2011

On life in Barcelona

Barcelona is the capital and the most populous city of Catalonia and the second largest city in Spain, after Madrid, with a population of 1,621,537 within its administrative limits on a land area 39 sq mi. The urban area of Barcelona extends beyond the administrative city limits with a population of over 4,200,000 on an area 310 sq mi, being the sixth-most populous urban area in the European Union after Paris, London, Ruhr area, Madrid and Milan. About five million people live in the Barcelona metropolitan area. It is also Europe's largest metropolis on the Mediterranean coast.

From almost any point in the city as far is you can see are tall buildings and people. People living on top of each other or so it seems. We arrived at the airport and were pleasantly surprised at how clean and nice it was. After going through Paris on the way, we were prepared for the worst. A taxi for the short 4 miles from the airport to the hotel cost us 40euros (nearly $50 when you figure in exchange rates and commission fees for exchange.) There are extremely few privately owned vehicles in the city. Everyone uses public transportation. Taxi, city bus, metro or tram. The cars you do see are very small. I could never take my whole family anywhere at the same time.

Above is a picture of the underground metro. This is probably one of the cheapest and fastest modes of transport. In the mornings the metro is loaded with college students riding it to university. They are very quiet--no laughing and roughhousing. They simply get on, set down and clutch their bookbags to themselves. They seem almost depressed. You will also see men heading to work on the metro. They too, are quite solemn. I really missed seeing and hearing children run and laugh.
In order to access the metro, you have to use the elevators or stairs. I don't like crowded germy elevators, so we used the stairs. They do have escalators coming up, but going down, it's all stairs. I have always heard that climbing a flight of steps adds a year to your life. Maybe the reverse is true...maybe coming down takes a year off your life. That could be how they control population here. And maybe body weight as well. I have to admit to not seeing one fattie the whole time we were there....well not until some more of the Loomis Americanos arrived anyway. :)
Walking around town, you will see many sad sights such as this precious soul. Even though Spain has a "free" healthcare system which would likely cover the costs of a prosthesis, this lady sits on the street begging. I do not wish to come across hard hearted, because truly my heart did go out to them, but we were told to be very careful as sometimes they will sit on their legs or hide an arm in their sleeve. This lady did not appear to be doing that, but we also learned that many are "addicted" to pain and will re-inflict injury on purpose either for the thrill of control or as an excuse to maintain drug dependance. I know there are cases like this in the US as well and it is so sad what Satan will drive a soul to do in it's search for truth.
The locals are very modest people. You will see a sign like the one above outside many businesses and churches. Some of the Loomis guys showed up in shorts and they really got the eyeball. One of them was even refused admittance to the casino because of his immodest attire! The women like to wear skirts, but it's a summer thing so I was a little early and got a few looks myself. In the winter time they wear modest, dark colored pants. The weather there was quite similar to our springs here in Idaho. Mostly cool and rainy with some sunshine. At home, this would mean shorts and a light jacket or no jacket at all. Here they were still wearing winter coats and scarves. Dark browns and blacks. Everyone wears a scarf. Sometimes the scarves are more colorful and add a happy splash of color to the otherwise bland dress style.
I like scarves myself, so I fit right in here. I also found some very good reasons to wear a scarf in Spain.
#1 Warmth. Having a scart around your neck, even without a jacket adds significant warmth.
#2 Smells. When the smells in the metro get too bad or you are worried about breathing germs, simply pull the scarf up over your nose.
#3 Rain. It rains at some point every day, or so it seems. If you forget your umbrella, wrapping your scarf over your head will help just a bit.
#4 (and I jest) Hanging. When life gets to be more than you can take, this is always an option. Of course I am not serious here, but honestly I was so homesick for my kids that I couldn't help but add this when hubby and I were discussing the benefits of scarves. Most of the people we saw really looked like they might be considering it. Maybe it's just culture, but smiles were few and far between, at least out and about the city. The hotel staff seemed more affluent and possibly more content with life in general, then again maybe that was just their job.
Some places in Spain you will have to buy your toilet paper even in the public restrooms. In the picture above the lady is selling toilet paper by the square, as needed! Really! If they have to do this, could they not put it in a coin vending machine inside the restroom?!? This lady is standing directly between the restroom and a restaurant. Besides, do you really always know how much is going to be needed and do you want a complete stranger to know!?!? UGH! This one really got me! In fact, I very quickly decided I did not need the restrooms at all!

Bottom line (no pun intended)?
God Bless the USA!

Photobucket

PS, Please remember that these posts will be written from my perspective and are not to be taken as legal facts. There was only one way I could see the country of Spain and that was through my very own pair of eyeballs. :)


2 comments:

~Heather Rae~

I am excited to read these blogs..as I always love to read what you write..Sounds like an amazing time and I love the pictures..I miss you girl and <3 you tons!

Crystal Roberts

Very interesting, I would have decided against the restroom too!

Post a Comment

...and underneath are the everlasting arms...Duet. 33:27