Sunday, February 6, 2011

When life gives you lemons....

Make lemon pie.
Ingredients
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup water
3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
6 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons butter

MERINGUE:
3 egg whites
6 tablespoons sugar
1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
Directions
•In a large saucepan, combine sugar and flour. Gradually stir in
buttermilk and water until smooth. Cook and stir over medium heat
until thickened and bubbly, about 4 minutes. Reduce heat; cook and
stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.

•Stir in a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to
the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir
2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat; stir in lemon juice and
butter until butter is melted. Keep warm.

•In a small bowl, beat the egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks
form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high just
until stiff peaks form and sugar is dissolved.

•Pour the hot filling into pastry shell. Spread meringue evenly over
hot filling, sealing edges to crust. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes
or until the meringue is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 1
hour; refrigerate for at least 5 hours before serving.
Note: I use 4 egg whites in my meringue and when I'm cooking for my mom (who like TART lemon pie,) I replace the 1/2 cup water with lemon.

Photobucket

2 comments:

Cindy

I have never made lemon meringue pie, because I don't care for it. But, my poor hubby loves it and I have never made it for him. Hm-mm...perhaps I should make it for him just because I LOVE him for Valentine's day!!! He would be impressed.
Yours sure turned out beautifully!
Hugs, Cindy

shannon i olson

yum love lemon pie, my step mom made one for me in Jan when I got out of the hospital, it was so nice to be pampered that way. comfort food ahh

Post a Comment

...and underneath are the everlasting arms...Duet. 33:27