Friday, February 18, 2011

An upside-down day

So we were riding along the other day and a little 8 year old voice pipes up from the back and says, "Did you know that an ordinary, lower case 'i' can become something very exciting just by turning it upside down?"

It took me just a few tenths of a second to figure out where she was going with this one, but I get the picture.

I also love her choice of wording--lower case, rather than small or little.

Ever since, I have been thinking about the lesson here. Sometimes it feels like life has taken and turned you upside-down. You don't understand why things happen the way they do. Why people say the things they say. Why our plans don't turn out the way we planned. I've been reminded though, that, "All things work together for good to them that love Him." That, "What others meant against me, God used for my good." That, "He has a plan for my life--to give me peace and an expected end."

I paraphrased all the above scriptures, but I think they are familiar to you.

I was also reminded that the ordinary "lower-case" days are the ones that I ought to treasure. The bumped heads and runny noses, and laundry are special and exciting "exclamation points" if you will.

"Despise not small things!"

Little 'lower-case eyes' are watching me, and I will leave a permanent ink 'exclamation mark' on their lives.

Photobucket

...and underneath are the everlasting arms...Duet. 33:27