Thursday, October 28, 2010

Some like it Hot!

Rick brought me home a salsa recipe from a co-worker last night so I decided to give it a try this morning. I made just a few subtle changes to fit our tastes. It turned out soooo good, that I thought I'd share the recipe with you. Here are the washed peppers and tomatoes.

The recipe called for all jalapenos, but I used a mixture of jalapeno, habanero, and green bell peppers.

As follows:

2 small green peppers, about 10 habanero, and the rest jalapeno. Enough to make 6 cups when chopped very finely.

I also used one onion --because that's all I had. The recipe called for 2 cups and I only got one.

I chopped all this with the small dicer on my Videlia Chop Wizard (which I LOVE!)

I also chopped 6+ cups of peeled tomatoes, using the larger attachment.


Add to chopped ingredients:

2 cups cider vinegar

10 cloves minced garlic

4T minced cilantro

4t oregano

1t cumin

3t salt

2-3 cans tomato paste

(Tomato paste is for the purpose of thickening, so you can adjust the quantity to your liking)
Simply combine all ingredients, bring to a boil and simmer on low for 10 minutes.

Carefully ladle hot salsa into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Wipe rim and threads of jars with a damp cloth. Place lids on jars (I heated my lids along with the jars to steralize them). Screw ring down evenly and firmly, but do not use excessive force.

Process 15 minutes in a boiling water canner.

All my jars sealed and I had enough extra (I ran out of jars) to keep about a quart in the fridge. It is sooo yummy. It's pretty hot because "Some like it Hot" ;) so if you want a milder version, I would just substitute more tomatoes for some of the peppers. This is supposed to yield 6 pints, but I was pleased to get 12 pints and a quart.

Photobucket


0 comments:

Post a Comment

...and underneath are the everlasting arms...Duet. 33:27