Silver City is a ghost town in Owyhee county Idaho. At the height in the 1800's it was a gold and silver mining town with a population of around 2500. It was here that the first daily newspaper in Idaho territory was printed. The mines began to play out around the time Idaho became a state in 1890. Most veins are believed to have 'played out' but some mining has continued over the years and recently even more is being done in the area. Silver City is quite remote. It is 25 miles southwest of Murphy (a small lonely town itself) on a steep, winding, dirt road.
I LOVE the church, and was so thrilled with the picture I got of it!
The cemetary is chocked full of history. It is so sweet/sad to imagine the lives of these pioneers. My heart breaks for them reading the many tombstones of mothers and young children.
From above the city looking down. There are probably 75 buildings including both houses and businesses. The old hotel is still operating and some of the houses serve as 'summer homes.'
Rick and I drove up on Labor Day and explored the town and surrounding area on his 'new' 4-wheeler. We also enjoyed a picnic lunch on the banks of Jordan Creek.
I love this sweet little home!
An old mine shaft.
You can't see it in this picture, but the sign at the top of the outhouse says, "Shown by appointment only!"
The area is high desert. 6,200ft. elevation in the city and the surrounding mountains up to 8,000ft.
If you listen close, you can almost hear the land and houses speak the history they hold.
And finally...here is the long-awaited photo of the 4-wheeler. This is the one that I painted all the metal parts on. Rick replaced many of the plastic parts and I made a new seat for it! It's a little dirty here, since we had been riding all day. Rick got a great deal on it, and even with all the work we put in to it, we are far ahead of brand new price!
I LOVE the church, and was so thrilled with the picture I got of it!
The cemetary is chocked full of history. It is so sweet/sad to imagine the lives of these pioneers. My heart breaks for them reading the many tombstones of mothers and young children.
From above the city looking down. There are probably 75 buildings including both houses and businesses. The old hotel is still operating and some of the houses serve as 'summer homes.'
Rick and I drove up on Labor Day and explored the town and surrounding area on his 'new' 4-wheeler. We also enjoyed a picnic lunch on the banks of Jordan Creek.
I love this sweet little home!
An old mine shaft.
You can't see it in this picture, but the sign at the top of the outhouse says, "Shown by appointment only!"
The area is high desert. 6,200ft. elevation in the city and the surrounding mountains up to 8,000ft.
If you listen close, you can almost hear the land and houses speak the history they hold.
And finally...here is the long-awaited photo of the 4-wheeler. This is the one that I painted all the metal parts on. Rick replaced many of the plastic parts and I made a new seat for it! It's a little dirty here, since we had been riding all day. Rick got a great deal on it, and even with all the work we put in to it, we are far ahead of brand new price!

2 comments:
Wow what a neat post! Really enjoyed reading about the history, and you take amazing pictures. And your 4-wheeler, wow! You so handy!
What a neat place! Looks like fun!
Post a Comment