I was pretty-ing up some hats for my little ones to play 'fancy ladies' today and while searching through my sewing basket for supplies, I found this:
It had exactly 1 1/2 yards of white lace wrapped around it and secured with a yellow pin. I wasn't looking for memories, I was looking for lace so I hurredly pulled the lace off. That is when I saw the little blue card and remembered.
It had exactly 1 1/2 yards of white lace wrapped around it and secured with a yellow pin. I wasn't looking for memories, I was looking for lace so I hurredly pulled the lace off. That is when I saw the little blue card and remembered.If you look close, you can see that it originally held elastic (4 yards of elastic). It was purchased at King's for the low sale price of just 54 cents! My Grandma had a whole drawer full of these all in nice rows with all kinds of ribbons and laces wrapped around them. In her handwriting at the bottom of the card, it told how much was there. That was so she did not have to take it off and measure, she could just look and see if there was enough for her project. She loved to sew and she taught me, although she failed to pass on 'the love'. I will never forget the first time...I could not seem to lift my foot off the pedal and it just kept sewing and sewing and sewing. She could sew me up a dress in just a few hours and when she wasn't busy sewing for me or someone else in the family, she would fill boxes with home-sewed dresses and send them to the mission field. I can remember looking at the Missionary Calendar and then choosing certain fabric, pattern, and notions for this little girl or that. I used to pull open the drawer that held all these little cards and pretend I was running a little fabric notions store. That is my little-girl handwriting on the card above. I guess we were 'Open'.
Memories...aren't they fun?!?!

0 comments:
Post a Comment